Daddy's Home

Carlos POV:

After loafing around on the couch, I decided to do something productive and take a shower after a long day in the late summer heat of the torrid heat of crowded classrooms. This shower was quicker than any other, because I knew JD would be banging on the door telling me to stop wasting the hot water. After drying off and garbing myself in a shirt and sweatpants, I spent most of my evening lounging peacefully on my bed, my phone playing my favorite songs on repeat.

Then I heard a door open with a jingle of keys, breaking the peaceful silence of the house. I knew it wasn't Magaly when the sound of heavy footsteps became louder as they approached the hallway. My dad was home. Through the thin walls I heard him greet Maylène with a kiss and a deep "Hello." There was a brief silence between their greetings, I assumed my father was signing opposed to speaking, as usual. Not long after, he peeked through the door to see JD and I in our beds.

"Hi Dad!" JD hopped up off his bed and quickly walked over to my father to hug him. My brother was much more affectionate with my father and though he minded his vulnerability sometimes, he never discouraged it as his relationship with our grandfather wasn't spectacular. I got up as well and dapped him up, that was the most physically affectionate we'd ever get.

"¿Dónde está Magaly?" He noticed that she hadn't come out to greet him and looked around the room
"I don't know, she said she was going to Adelaide so probably there." I shrugged and sat back down on my bed. Adelaide was Magaly's best friend, The sister of my best friend, Mal Chin, and the Daughter of my father 's FORMER best friend. Small world huh?

"¿Por qué su madre sigue dejándola ir allí?" Dad said under his breath, scoffed and walked out of our room shaking his head,
questioning Maylène about the matter next. Our dad was extremely overprotective of Mags. I guess to keep her from getting with a guy that's like him. Which is reasonable , but as I got older I realised ; Our father was more focused on keeping Mags from getting with guys that were like him then stopping US from being guys like him.

"Even if she is, why does it matter?" I heard Maylène say in a hushed yell.
"It matters because that's not her house!" my father exclaimed. I knew they were arguing by the fact that he was speaking, and speaking English for that matter.

" Look. Just call her and see where she is ok?" Maylène said in a softer voice then walked down the hallway to their room. Shortly after, Dad was on the phone with Magaly, ready to chew her out for leaving the house.

Magaly's POV:

The bus was empty and quiet, only noises were the noises of the vehicle itself. The afternoon sunlight warmed my face as I rested my head on the window. In the process of the bus stopping my whole body jerked from the recoil. I stood up with my belongings to step off the bus at my stop. 1 block away from Ada's house. I knocked on the door, and She answered. "What's up Mag? Get your ass in here!" She signaled with her hand as she led us through our usual route to her room.

Adelaide and I had been friends since middle school. She had led me my way through life. All her stories about boys and dating, and even sex when we entered highschool. I always had this strange feeling about Adelaide. Not strange as in bad, but strange as in I valued her more than I did my other friends. I wanted to spend my life with her. My grandma always said " There are friends for a reason, and friends for a season." I had many "seasonal" friends and friends whose "reason" was to teach me a lesson about life or myself, but i could never put Ada in either of these boxes.

I sat on the swivel desk chair as she walked into the bathroom to continue fixing her hair. She was wearing a tube top and leggings showing the visible tan lines from the too small bathing suit she wore every summer.