02

The bells chimed, promising us a new beginning. On this prosperous day, it was clear and... serene, just like the great priest had predicted. The extravagant ceremony went by orderly and quietly, unlike the town I last visited. The bliss of the bride, it was nonexistent to me. No, not when I was concerned about the unpleasant woman who still resided in my new home. 

Unsurprisingly, not a soul batted an eye at the affair, not even the emperor who treated me quite kindly. I couldn't have a peace in my heart, I worried about clashing with her, our future offsprings struggling for power. 

"Congratulations, Your Highness, the princess." 

Snapping out of the reverie, I realized that I had been left behind once again. Like a lost child, my eyes flicked around the venue. 

There he was, smiling so charmingly even when his audience were middle aged men. Still, I was relieved that his targets were not noblewomen this time. 

Absent-mindedly, I said, "Earl Lancelot, thank you—" I caught a tuft of golden hair intruding into my view.

I was whisked away into a pair of sturdy arms, a playful chuckle sounded into my ears. 

"My wife," His bright, gem eyes pierced into my soul, as if marveling at my appearance, all over again. "Wife," he laughed, pressing a kiss onto my lips.

He was really gorgeous. Today, exceptionally, he was glowing, adorned in the most handsome groom attire. 

My cheeks felt warm, and I was sure he could see the color.

He let out a boyish choke of laughter and joyously twirled me around. 

Thump, thump

Anastacius is acting so affectionately and lovely today. Maybe, just maybe, getting wedded to this man would not be so bad.

"Aren't you supposed to be somewhere?" 

He pulled me into a firm embrace, humming. "I saw some lowlife bothering my wife so I came to rescue."

Oh, the count. I searched around for the man but I could only see the envious eyes of the noble daughters.

"Your complexion is slightly pale, albeit you blushed," He snickered and ran a thumb over my cheek. "Go back home and have a good rest, alright? I will be right behind you." 

Hearing that statement, I subconsciously limped onto him. The sleepless nights were catching up to me.

He took it as a sign to sweep me up into his arms. A bridal carry... fitting for a bride on her wedding day.

I pushed away the thought of stopping him. I needed the rest, as he said.

.
.
.

I was thankful. I was really, really thankful for his decision.

.
.
.

When I looked out of the window, still in my magnificent wedding gown, the sky had been dyed red. 

All of sudden, there was knocking against the door, interrupting the tranquility of the sunset.

I couldn't even reprimand her for she showed me a regretful expression with tears streaking down.

"His Highness, the crown prince, had passed," She announced with her head low.

In a span of a few hours, the newlywed bride was widowed.

I ran down the hallways, heels long abandoned. I didn't know how to take the news, but it unsettled my being. It still didn't feel real. 

He left me while I was asleep. No one dared to inform me. And I, slept through the entire day, oblivious of the chaos in the royal palace, that my husband was dead.