04

"If you do not mind, Your Highness, may I leave my son, Ijekiel, with the princesses? He must appreciate the company of his peers." The corners of Duke Alpheus's eyes crinkled into crow feet patterns. He was of similar age to us, however, it seemed that he had been stressed greatly since he took over the Alpheus Duchy.

The door to the greenhouse opened, letting in the sound of pitter-patter, the butler led a child over to our table. He looked exactly like the duke in his younger days.

"Of course, rest assured, he will be in my care."

"Thank you, Your Highness. Excuse me.." He patted his son's head, "Behave in the presence of her highnesses, the princesses."

"Yes, father," The boy said softly.

The two adults exited the greenhouse and I was left with three children. I blinked. "Ijekiel, have a seat here."

"Thank you, Your Highness," He shyly smiled.

I couldn't help but smile too. He had his own charm too.

"You are welcome, young duke. Is there any specific pastry you would like to have, young duke?"

"N-no, Your Highness, I like the tart," He reached out for the raspberry tart. Ijekiel's eyes kept following Jennette with familiarity.

"Would you like apple juice instead of tea?" Lilian offered.

"Apple juice?" His eyes sparkled in delight. "Yes, please!"

Jennette and Athanasia looked over at the newcomer as if just realizing.

Jennette didn't look like she recognized the boy like he did. "Ijekiel, do you perhaps know Jennette?"

Before he could reply, Athanasia suddenly burst into tears. I was immediately on alert because she rarely cried.

Lilian quickly picked her up and tried to figure out what was wrong. The child only cried louder and looked at me, reaching out her arms.

As soon as I embraced her, she threw up blood. The blood drained away as I looked at the sight. "A-Athanasia.." I swallowed. "Lilian, take care of the children!"

I could only hear Athanasia's agonizing cry ringing in my ears.

With a blank mind, I barged into the audience room and into Claude's arms. I'm scared. "Claude, Claude...!" I sobbed.

"Everyone, get out." He made me sit on his throne and placed his daughter into his arms.

I could only watched with hands over my horrified face. The tears wouldn't stop. I started praying, praying to the great entities I had once forgotten, whoever willing to listen. Don't take my darling away.

Claude clasped onto my knee. "She's fine," He placed Athanasia onto my lap.

I hadn't noticed that my eyes had been closed or the baby's crying that had ceased. Athanasia was breathing softly, traces of blood wiped off.

"Shh, stop crying."

On the contrary, I cried harder. Cradling the princess close, I pressed a kiss on her forehead.

Overwhelmed with emotions, I was bedridden for days. The maids assured me that Athanasia has been doing well and that her father had been keeping an eye on her. I wasn't expecting the Grand Duke's appearance when I woke up after a short nap.

"My Lord Duke," I tried to sit up as elegantly as possible. "To what do I owe the pleasure," I forced myself to meet his eyes, eyes which once used to mirror my appearance only, his dearest daughter.

"I heard that you have fallen ill." His strict tone was no more, instead it was uncharacteristically soft and weak willed. The lines on his face were deeper compared to the last time I had seen him.

"Thank you for Your Grace's concern..." I managed a smile, I suspect it must've been a bitter smile, seeing how forlorn he looked.

"These are tonics for my princess," The duke personally delivered the gifts into my hands.

I bowed my head and looked towards the window. "Your Grace should return, the sun is about to set and it's hours ride away from the duchy." You shouldn't overstay your welcome.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but he reluctantly nodded. "Rest well, my daughter." He started towards the door.

"I am not your daughter.." I mumbled in defeat. You said so yourself.

He paused. Unknown to me, nightmares plagued his sleep ever since he had abandoned me. Especially since he heard of my recent ailment, he had been seeing her pitiful daughter who pleaded for him to not leave her while her body was impaled with multiple swords and arrows.  The Grand Duke could only swallow his remorse and leave as she wished. "Please be well, I love you, my daughter."

His visit was quick, but felt excruciatingly long to me. At least he did not bring the whole unhinged herd along with him. I sighed and plopped down onto the bed, letting the boxes of tonics fall.

The door reopened but it was Claude and Athanasia, and trailing behind them was a timid yet bright Jennette.

"I wasn't going to let him in," He said, tossing the struggling Athanasia onto the bed.

The baby landed sitting, until she flopped forward. Athanasia pushed her chubby face up with a huff and crawled towards me with ecstatic giggles.

"But?" I welcomed her with wide arms.

"He was groveling on the ground, it was an annoying sight," He lied as he picked up Jennette who was trying to climb up the bed and tossed her too.