03

Baby Athanasia was a very sweet and brilliant child. I watched closely as the one year old tottered around the field of vibrant flowers with a flower crown sat atop her small head. Her strawberry skirt puffed out when she threw herself to sit on the grass.

Lilian had left to fetch more yarns after Athanasia begrudgingly rejected her assistance to go around. It was only Athanasia and I in the garden of Emerald Palace.

I had not once visited the Ruby Palace since that fateful day, there was no reason to because the Princess stayed with me in the Emerald Palace. I heard from the maids' gossip that the palace that was once stained with blood, was abandoned and nature had been creeping its vines around the building to reclaim its territory.

I looked up from the woven cloth and found out that the Princess had already done collecting the flowers and was wobbling farther away.

I got up from the chair and patted the threads off my skirt. "Princess Athanasia, please come here."

She had already turned a corner, but I could hear her babbling Athanasia in response.

My heart dropped at the scene before me. The emperor was standing in the midst of the garden with the princess hanging by her dress.

I composed myself and performed a graceful bow, "I greet the sun of the empire,
Emperor Claude De Alger Obelia."

"Rise," He commanded with a soft, but cold voice.

"Um!" The unfazed princess grinned at me, I had almost forgotten the overwhelming presence of the great tyrant.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," I approached him slowly and reached out my arms to Athanasia. The position she was in was dangerous.

"She was heading towards the fountain," Claude did not hand her over yet, instead, he observed her small face.

This marks the first interaction between the father and daughter.

He did not seem to carry any threat or hostility towards his daughter.

Shwaa..

The leaves rustled, filling our silence.

Claude closed in until he was a hair's breadth away and dropped Athanasia into my arms. "Let's have some tea," He started towards the table that was already set up.

Lilian was already done preparing freshly brewed tea and refreshments with the help of Felix. She smiled at the sight of us and quickly sent her greetings before stepping away.

Athanasia sat on my lap as I fed her some of the rich pudding.

I spoke softly, "To what may I owe the pleasure?"

The exquisite blue of his eyes met mine. "I cannot grant your wish," He stated bluntly.

My wish was conveyed through a formal letter to the emperor, my wish was to leave. Athanasia's life was no longer in danger and Lilian was the perfect mother figure she needed. "I must go, Your Royal Majesty."

"As the next candidate of empress, you are forbidden to step out of the royal palace, no less, the nation," His voice boomed.

I felt my heart wrenching in pain. "I am not going to be the empress. It has always been my interest to travel around the world."

"You dare defy the orders of your emperor?

I tried to negotiate, "Your majesty, I will not be the empress, but I will stay for another year." Just enough time so that Athanasia wouldn't grow attached.

"Rejected." He glared.

"Claude, please, don't do this to me." My shoulders dropped as my confidence wore away.

The moment was still until he proposed, "Until the coming of age ceremony of the princess, stay."

That would be more than a decade. But I couldn't ask for more for he had yielded to me. "I.. sincerely thank Your Majesty the emperor for gracing me with such benevolence." I raised with Athanasia in my arms and bowed as low as possible.

"Give the princess to me." Now that the issue was resolved, his voice had softened.

With a confused Athanasia on his lap, Claude waved me off. "You can continue with your handiwork."

Hesitantly, I sat back and picked up the needle.

"You resemble a mother," He commented.

I kept silent and merely forced a smile. Occasionally, I look up to find appalling scenes of Claude caressing his daughter's hair and even feeding her soft pudding. Like a pretty doll, Athanasia sat quietly, occupied with the flower crown she had pulled off, and never once rebelling against the stranger she would call father. I had a sudden urge to call in the portrait artist so that if Claude ever changed his mind, I could assure Athanasia that she was loved by her father.

"How old is she?"

"One year and seven months old, Your Majesty."

"On her upcoming birthday, plan a party for her. I will introduce her to society."

I looked up in disbelief. "It is my utmost pleasure, Your Majesty." I added, "Her Highness' birthday is on December the third."

After some time, I finished sewing the gloves, I caught Claude intently gazing at me. Toppled on his chest was Athanasia who napped soundly.

"I shall take the princess, Your Majesty."

"It is fine, are you heading back?" Claude stood up. "I will walk you back."

Really, what was wrong with the emperor today?

Suffocating silence settled on us as we walked on the cobblestones.

"Do you want to move back to the Emperor's Palace?"

"Your Majesty, I have said that I am not going to be the empress. My answer is no, I am quite content with the Emerald Palace."

"That is where my children will reside, it is not your place."

"And the Emperor's Palace is my place? After my late husband's death, I have no right to reside there and Your Majesty knows it too."

"Then, marry me."

"Your Majesty," I breathed out an exasperated sigh.

Felix stepped in at the right moment. "Your Majesty, please pardon my interruption. Duke Alpheus has requested an audience with Your Royal Majesty."

Claude spared a glance at me. "He can wait--"

"Your Majesty!"

He frowned at my interruption. It could cost me my head but I wasn't nobody else.

"Please go on ahead. Thank you, Your Majesty, for coming with us all the way." I bowed and reached out for Athanasia.

He snaked an arm around, holding my stiffened body in place. Claude studied my stunned face closely and with a flap of his foreign robe, he turned away.

.
.
.

That night, it was especially chilly and the owls were louder than usual. I woke up from my sleep. The curtains swayed with the gust of wind. Why were the doors opened? Cautiously, I knocked doors to hallways, alerting the knights stationed outside.

Swiftly, they busted in with swords unsheathed.

"The balcony doors are opened, and I think I see a silhouette," I whispered, holding the letter opener knife to my chest.

They nodded and approached the balcony. Nothing jumped out, but when they separated the curtains, I saw a clear view of a cot the size of a crate.

"Your Highness, it's a child," One of them said.

"Keep a watch," I warned as I approached the cot, inside, was a sleeping toddler with long, brown hair. Brown hair that reminded me of a certain someone. "Look away, the two of you," I gently pushed up her eyelid and couldn't refrain a loud gasp.

"Your Highness?!" They called, about to turn around.

"No! I'm fine. Just bring me a blanket." She was undoubtedly the missing Penelope Judith's child. I wrapped the girl in a blanket and started to the Emperor's Palace. "Lock the doors. One of you follows me while the other scours the room carefully. And, do not speak of the child to anyone or you will be held accountable for treason!"

"Yes, Your Highness!"

With the royal blood in her, I could only hand her over to the emperor.

"Your highness, I can carry the child."

I hesitated, but allowed him to take over. She wasn't an infant like Athanasia, but a toddler. "Get moving," I said between my pants.

When we arrived at his palace, I instructed the knight to leave us and I entered the grand chamber.

A large portrait of Penelope Judith still hung high. She definitely was this child's mother.

"Claude, are you in here?"

"Yes," the raspy voice came from the canopy bed. The curtains spread open and an unruly Claude stepped out.

"Claude, this child..." I presented the still sleeping girl. She must've been drugged. "She has imperial blue eyes."

"What?" He peered down at the child and opened her eyes. He frowned, "Is she yours?"

"She is not," I said slowly. She was either yours, or Anastacius's.

"Penelope.. Judith?" His expression hardened.

"She resembles her, Your Majesty."

He put out his arms, "Give it here." He set her down on the divan and sat on the opposite divan. Leaning against the armrest, he signaled me to sit next to him.

"Who do you think is the father?"

"I don't know, Your Majesty."

He pushed a hand through his hair, as if exhausted, "Drop it, it's only us here. How did you obtain her?"

"She was left on my balcony and I came as soon as possible."

"Someone has access to your balcony."

The statement sent chills down my spine. "Athanasia, she was still at the Emerald Palace and the knights haven't found anyone yet!"

When I attempted to leave, his hand shot out to grab my wrist. "Stay here, I will go get here."

"I will come with you," I looked up at him with pleading eyes.

Claude placed his hand onto my head, "We will be back soon." As soon as he walked out, I felt overwhelming mana surrounding the room. He must had placed a protective barrier on his chamber.

It didn't take long at all.

Athanasia cooed when she saw me.

I couldn't help but run towards her and pull her into a cuddle. "I'm so sorry sweetheart, I'm so sorry."

Claude swiped me off the floor and dropped us onto his bed. "Go to sleep, I will take care of this."

"Uh, Claude, we can just take another room."

He shot me a sharp glare. "I thought you were frightened seconds ago?"

I pursed my lips.

Claude stood by the girl and hovered a hand above her head.

.
.
.

I blinked at the wide, sparkling blue eyes staring into my soul. It took me seconds to recall this girl, and another few to register the position Claude and I were in.

His breaths fanned my neck as he nuzzled against my collarbones. The arm curled around my torso was sturdy, refusing to part. Somehow fit in between us was Athanasia, who seemed rather comfortable being squished.

"Good morning," I smiled at the girl leaning onto the bed.

She beamed and whispered, "Good morning, can I, go up here?" She pressed onto the mattress as if testing the softness.

Ah, I actually wanted to get out. "Of course, come here, darling." I could only watch her excitedly struggle to get up the bed.

She did a little dance with her fists pumping in the air as if she was trying to entertain me.

"That was amazing," I told her. "What is your name?"

She simply sat on her knees, "My name is Jenny, Jennette.." Her back was straight, anticipating my following questions.

"Jennette, how old are you?"

She held out three fingers and started counting, "Three years old..!" She quickly covered her mouth.

Claude shifted and subconsciously, I pulled his head closer and caressed his hair. It was a habit I developed when Athanasia still slept by my side. I had a feeling that the emperor was faking his sleep, how could someone like him not wake to slight noise or movement? "Jennette, do you want to go home?"

With small hands still over her mouth, Jennette pondered, then shook her head.

"Do you have questions for me too?" I tried to pull away from Claude. Had he always been this clingy?

"Can I.. sleep here at night?"

I frowned. "Did you leave her on the sofa last night?" I directed to Claude, knowing full well he was conscious. "Of course, Jennette."

Her eyes crinkled into crescents. She scooted slightly closer and whispered, "Thank you..!"

I smiled, "You are welcome." I gazed down towards the two, "Athanasia should be eating by now, let go of me, Claude."

He nonchalantly opened an eye and rolled away, facing Jennette.

"What will you do now?" I fixed my nightgown and picked Athanasia up.

"I can support her throughout her life, but that is it."

"What if she's your daughter," I murmured, rounding the bed. "Jennette, come with me. We'll freshen up and then have breakfast." I held onto her wrist while she made the jump.

"Is baby not eating?" She said quietly.

"Yes, she will, she will wake up soon."

Servants were gathered outside, ready to serve us.

We had our first breakfast together today.

"You and the children will be residing in the Emperor's Palace starting today," Claude mentioned.

"I want a separate bedroom, Your Majesty."

"Why? The bed is wide enough for us."

I immediately covered my mouth, pressing down a cough, "Must I remind you that I am not Your Majesty's spouse." This morning's memories resurfaced.

"Not yet," The corner of his lips tilted up the slightest bit.

This man! I couldn't bear to look at Lilian. She acted preoccupied feeding Athanasia and assisting Jennette but surely, she had heard the exchanges.

Fortunately, for the remainder of the rainy day, Claude left us alone.

"Greetings, Your Majesty," A white haired man bowed.

"Duke Alpheus," I acknowledged. Wasn't he here just yesterday? "How have you been?"

"Quite well, and yourself?" He stealthily glanced at Jennette, but the girl paid no mind to him.

She had her attention on Athanasia instead.

"I am good too. What brings you here in such difficult weather?"

"I have matters to attend to with His Majesty, the emperor," He smiled.

"Hm, I won't be holding you back then."

a/n: Hey guys, thanks for reading and giving votes (it's the only way I know that people actually read). Really motivated me, thank you, stay tune for the next chapter!