Chapter One - ✔

Number Seven Shrewiottek Garden, Alecaster

It was just a normal day.

I will wake up.

I will cook breakfast.

I will go to school.

I will come home.

I will cook lunch.

I will do the housework.

I will do my homework.

I will cook dinner.

I will go to sleep.

Just as always.

But had she only known what had been in store for her before the alarm went off, would she have known how wrong she was. She'd never thought of herself as special. Ordinary perhaps? Well, you couldn't say that either. She was never able to fit in no matter what she did or wherever she went. She was just different. Well that's what she kept telling herself. Her step-father, on the other hand, would say otherwise. There's a difference between different and straight up abnormal.

Well that's what he thought anyway.

At that particular moment, she was asleep in her attic bedroom, at the very top of the house. It had low sloping ceilings and a musty smell about it. It wasn't comfortable, though it wasn't unpleasant either. It was crowded to say the least. That got her thinking. Why was it crowded? It wasn't as though she had loads of things on shelves, littering the floor and adorning the walls. No, in fact, her bedroom - if you could call it that, was quite sensibly arranged. Her bed - her cot, was under the window. Her desk - with her school books, was in one corner. And her chest of drawers was in another. Rather neat and simple if you asked her. So, why was it crowded? Anyway, we digressed. She was asleep at the time - she was extremely tired given that she was up all night finishing her homework. She had fallen asleep in the baggy white t-shirt and jeans she had worn the previous day. Only to be woken up by her step-father, Saif Espinoza. And truth be told? He wasn't the ideal person whom you would want to be woken up by. "Up! Get up!" came his sharp, brisk and slightly irritable voice from outside the door. Eesh. He did not sound like he was in a good mood. Well to be fair, he seldom was. Being half asleep, she hardly heard him. Laughing are you? Well, she could sleep through almost anything. And anything unfortunately included her step-father Espinoza's voice. Her delayed response did not help his mood.

"Up with you, you lazy-good-for-nothing-sea-slug!" he bellowed. And that had her up. He would occasionally spew out insults, more out of spite and malice than anything. Bandy-legged-jack-rabbit, she could handle. But lazy-good-for-nothing-sea-slug? She drew the line at invertebrates. She flung open the door to find her step-father's face inches away from her own. He was already in a crisp business suit and a pair of gleaming black loafers. He had dark hair, with just a touch of gray at the temples and a distinguished looking mustache. There was a vein pulsing in his temple - always a danger sign, and his face was a rather dark shade of puce for that particular hour in the morning. "Good-for-nothing-sea-slug." she began in a dangerously low voice. "Good-for-nothing-sea-slug? I'll give you a good-for-nothing-sea-slug!" He looked thoroughly shocked. In all the years of her life, She had never spoken back to him, she had always gone along with whatever he had told her to do. Cook. Clean. She had never ever said a word against him, she just went along with it. But that morning something inside of her clicked.

"-always sitting around doing absolutely nothing, telling people what to do, I'm surprised people even put up with you at that pathetic excuse you call a business (her step-father's company made cars) and rumpling up your hair because you think it's cool to look like you've just gotten out of your SUV - it's pathetic!" She spat the last word out, as she shook her white blonde hair out of her crystal blue eyes furiously. She knew it was wrong to have yelled like that, but twelve years worth of anger bottled up inside her, had (very conveniently, she might add) chosen to erupt at that particular moment, on the only outlet she had. The moment she opened her eyes, she knew she had made a huge mistake. Saif Espinoza's face went from shock to a snarl. "Pathetic am I?" he said in a level voice. "Pathetic? Need I remind you madam, whose house this is? Who has been letting you live under their roof when your, pathetic as you put it - mother ran off and got herself murdered-" he paused in the middle of his rant, evidently horror struck.