chapter 1 : pray for me

I woke up to the sound of the bustling crowds. The bright light almost blinding me. I sit up from this unfamiliar bed, panicking. My eyes widened when I realized I wasn't in my room. I looked around getting anxious.

Where the hell am I?! Was I kidnapped?!

I'm 100% sure I fell asleep in my bedroom. My body was feeling awful from all the crying last night, not to mention the hard slap i received from my dad.

My eyes scanned the spacious room. There were tons of bunk beds towering one another. And so many people were scattered throughout the room. Only then, I noticed all of us are wearing the same clothes. White shirt with printed numbers on the front under a green jacket, partnered with green pants. The jacket had a number as well. Seriously? We looked like prisoners.

I zipped down my jacket and looked at my shirt to see my number. 018. Huh, that's my age. Coincidence? I think not.

The outfit alone was enough to make me go insane. I wanna get out of this horrendous place.

Oh my god! Is this the punishment my father mentioned? I was sent here to participate in the game. I thought it would take at least a week, I didn't expect it be so soon.

I looked for my phone inside my pants' pocket but it was empty. Oh no! What the fuck is happening?

My attention was diverted to the center of the room. It seems like there are people fighting. I stood up from my bed and went to see what's going on. But it was hard to have a look because I was behind a bunch of people. So I walked to one of highest bunker beds and climbed on it.

I finally got a full view of the surroundings. A man was beating the poor girl. What is going on? Why are the people just watching instead of helping the girl? My heart was beating so fast. 101, He looks like an arrogant asshole. I looked away from the commotion to calm myself.

My eyes stopped at the old man sitting in the lower bed. That's when I realized, he's my grandfather. Right! How could I forget. He forced my dad to come along with me so I wouldn't feel alone. And he also said he missed his childhood so he wanted to play too. Thank god for him.

I quickly climbed down the bed and run straight to him.

"Grandpa!" I called his attention. I was about to hug him when he gestured stop. Confused, I furrowed my eyebrows.

"We need to act like we don't know each other here, y/n. We don't want people to get suspicious of us." his voice low and frail.

" What? Why? " I curiously asked.

"Because it would sound strange for the players. Anyway, how are you? Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Im a little frightened but other than that I'm okay" I said, looking at the still-ongoing fight. I saw another man yelling at the girl.

"You're the pick pocket. Give me my money back. Where's my money?" the man said holding her collar.

And the previous guy was now mad at him for interrupting their fight. They continue to argue until the doors on the front opened, revealing a group of men wearing a dark pink suit and a mask. Circles, triangles, and square were placed on their mask. I scoffed, not taking the get-up seriously. I couldn't believe what I'm seeing right now. They walked to the platform with a neat formation. The atmosphere was now filled with their intimidating aura. Are they going to perform or something? Wait, are they some sort of a boy group?

I crossed my arms before walking to join the others at the center. My grandfather following suit.

"I would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to you all. Each one of you will play 6 different games in the span of 6 days. Those who win all the 6 games shall receive a handsome cash prize." The man in the square-shaped mask announced.

"Why should we believe that?" a man asked. " You took our stuff and put us to sleep. Then you take us to a strange warehouse. Now you're saying you'll pay us if we play a few games?"

" We only took those measures to maintain confidentiality as we brought you here. We'll return everything once games are over."

I sighed loudly. How I can't wait for this shit to be over.

A woman asked why were they wearing masks. They do it to ensure fair games and confidentiality, he answered.

"Well, I don't believe you one bit." another man spoke. "You tricked us. We were kidnapped. You can make as many excuse as you want to make sure you broke the law in here."

"Player 218. Cho Sangwoo." the masked man stated. He raised his hand and clicked the remote. The lights went off and a TV was displayed. A video started playing, 218 playing ddakji and getting slapped. Um?

"Former Team Leader of Team Two at Joy Investments Siphoned money from his clients' balance, then invested it in derivatives and failed. Current loss 650 million won."

My jaw dropped. 650? That's a lotta damage. I looked at where he's standing. He's quite tall and have a fit body. If I hasn't heard he's in dept, I would surely mistaken him as a sugar daddy.

The staff started reading everyone else's number, name, and dept as the video shows. All of them was slapped when they lose. Well, I did get slapped by my father so I think we're not different after all.

He then stated how everyone in this room is in financial ruin. And how we volunteered to play on out free will. Not in my case tho. I was sent here as punishment. I just kept my mouth shut and listened to what he's announcing.

"How much money will we win?" Player 456 asked. We didn't get a worded response. Instead the man clicked a button on the remote.

Something on the ceiling opened up and a giant piggy bank started descending. A soft yellow glow illuminated the whole room. I was left astonished, the piggy bank was huge. Woah!

"Money will be accumulated in there after each games. We will disclose the information after the first game. If you don't want to participate then please say now."

Everyone was silent.

Now please make a line in an orderly fashion in front where you'll sign a from."