chapter 11 : devil's advocate

It was now 30 minutes before the lights were off. My team and I were gathered in a corner, discussing.

"Look at those morons, seems like they're planning something." I said, pointedly.

"We can't fall asleep tonight, okay?" Sangwoo added. "Who knows what someone else may try. If they try to attack someone, let's group together and fight them"

"Come to our side if anything goes wrong." He suggested to player 199.

"Okay, I will."

"You too, 018" his eyes landed on me.

"Of course, where else would I go?" I teased.

"Wake up, sir" Gihun woke up my grandpa.

"Sorry, but you can't sleep after light's out, understand?"

"Why?" Grandpa asked like he's not aware of his surroundings.

"We gotta keep an eye out. It will be dangerous. We'll come here if anything goes down." Gihun explained.

My eyes trailed off to where the girl who was beaten up by player 101 on the first day sat. Something in me wanted to let her join our little team so I approached her.

"Hi," She looked up, not expecting me.

"It looked like you and that thug had it out for each other." I went on.

"So what?" She replied dryly. I looked at her, taken aback. This was the first time someone didn't get intimidated by my presence. Whatever, that's not the point here.

"Tonight, if anything happens, we'll all meet in 456's bed right there." I pointed to where his bed was located. "Are you in?"

"I don't trust people." She looked down. "And that's twice as true for anyone who'd end up here. Got it?"

"Okay well, if you change your mind, feel free to come over to us. Got it?" I smiled casually before walking away.

I didn't really get what she was saying, to be honest.

"Players, lights out in 1 minute."

We all went and tucked ourselves in our designated beds. My heart started to thump loud enough that I could hear it. I tried to make myself as small as possible, not wanting to attract any attention.

Once the lights were shut, I put both my hands over my mouth, covering any sounds that would escape from me.

The silence was deafening, it was as if it was swallowing me whole.

My body froze when I heard a piercing scream. The fight had begun. I couldn't breathe in the darkness. It was like a nightmare you can't wake up from.

People's screams and shouts filled the darkroom as they attack one another. As if it wasn't terrifying enough, the lights started flickering on and off like the ones you see in a horror movie.

Some of the top bunks started falling, making me panic even more. The guards with their guns wouldn't kill me but the people and their desperate nature could.

The universe wasn't on my side this time. Someone had yanked my hair, I let out a scream. I fell on my bed, making me hiss in pain.

The man grabbed my collar, his arm ready to punch. I immediately kneed him before he could throw a punch at my face. He let go of me to hold his crotch, cursing me.

I seized the opportunity to run and look for my team. My vision was blurry as chaos surrounded me.

My scalp was throbbing to where the man has pulled my hair. I was panting, nevertheless, I continued to search for Sangwoo.