Chapter 1 - Vanessa

I've always felt like an outsider.

Like I didn't belong anywhere, with anyone. I used to think it was because I was too weird or too smart or too something.

But asking too many questions got people in all sorts of trouble- trouble that I couldn't afford.

At the age of six, I learned that silence was my weapon of choice. The less I spoke, the less they noticed me. The less they knew about me, the more control I had.

And I needed control if I wanted to survive.

I had to survive.

"Vanessa?"

At the sound of the soft voice from my front, I lift my head from my canvas, shifting my focus from the portrait "Mare" by George Grosz.

My Art teacher, Miss Brown, furrowed her eyebrows at me, gazing in concern. "Vanessa? Class ended five minutes ago."

I glance around and realize she's right; all the seats are ruffled and empty. I must have been too focused on my book to notice anything else.

"Sorry," I murmur, tucking my brunette hair behind my ear. "I'll be leaving."

Miss Brown is the only teacher in Moonstone High that I get along well with. Well, except for Mrs. Tate, she is the canteen lady who always manages to serve a little bit extra.

"That's okay," Miss Brown smiles. "I'm always pleased when a student of mine actually shows interest in the lesson. But go enjoy yourself. It's the end of school after all."

Enjoy myself? Huh-that's a new one.

I scuffle my chair, mumbling an inaudible 'sorry,' and dash out of the worn-out classroom, stopping only when I reach my locker to pull out the rest of my things.

A hand slams on the locker next to mine banging in a loud thud that made me flinch.

"What is the whore doing here?"

The overpowering scent of his cologne invades my nostrils, and I suppress a groan.

Trezor Zale was the biggest bully at Moonstone High, and his family's connections to local gangsters make him basically untouchable. Over a month ago, when I first started school, Trezor started a rumor that I was sleeping with one of the teachers who had been overly friendly with the girls in class

I was labeled the school slut.

The outcast.

The girl who fucked her way for good grades.

I clench my jaw, my hands balling into fists. I knew better than to react, but the words still stung. I could feel the stares of other students as they walked past, some snickering, some pretending not to hear.

I couldn't blame them, though. Trezor had a way of making sure no one dared to cross him or speak up against him.

I quickly grab my backpack and slam my locker shut, trying to make a quick escape.

But Trezor blocked my way, his face twisted in a menacing sneer. "What's the matter, slut? Cat got your tongue?" he taunted, blocking any attempt I make to move past him.

I take a deep breath, trying to remain calm. I can feel my heart racing, my palms sweating. "Please move," I manage to say, my voice barely above a whisper.

Trezor chuckled, taking a step closer. "Make me," he challenged, his eyes glinting with amusement.

I could feel the panic set in. I didn't want to deal with this, not today. I close my eyes for a moment, trying to gather my thoughts.