My Moon - Part One

Felt inspired.

Halloween in New York City was like Christmas in New York City; a holiday that went XXL and bathed the streets in white. At Christmas it was snow. At Halloween it was cobwebs. Shawn liked that everyone came together and got into the spirit of things, but as he tried to reach through an unclogged bunch of fake cobweb for a box of Halloween candy, he really wished people had started to think about the practicalities of things as well.

Checking no one was looking, he quickly ripped the weird material off, dumped it on the floor and grabbed exactly what he wanted before heading to the cash register. "Just these please," He smiled at the teenage girl who was dressed up as Sunday Addams and looking more than a little bored with her Saturday morning job.

"You know they'll be on discount tomorrow," She said in a monotone voice, taking the box from him to ring up.

"I know," He shot her a small smile, reaching for his wallet, "But my wife needs them now. We ran out of candy for tonight."

He bit his lip as the words left his mouth to stop a weird grin spreading across his face. His wife. Sometimes, it still didn't feel real saying he was married. But when he woke up next to Camila Mendes everyday and caught sight of the two bands on her left hand, the reality of the situation always settled; he had been married to the love of his life for almost a year and a half and it was the best year and a half of his life.

Walking down the sidewalk to the entrance to their apartment, he smiled as he saw a little girl dressed as a unicorn skipping down the street, holding hands with her Mom. He hoped it wouldn't be too long until he'd be seeing his own baby girl battling with Camila over what she wanted to dress up as for Halloween. And as he paused next to the pumpkin outside their apartment door to find his key, he really hoped not too long was as soon as possible.

"Babe?" He called out, "I'm back."

"Did you get it?"

He grinned, spotting his heavily pregnant wife in their tiny kitchen, "I got it," He reassured her, placing the brown paper bag on the side before making his way over to her. "What are you doing?" He murmured, wrapping his arms around her waist as best as her could.

"Making lunch," She replied as the familiar sound of her knife scraping the bottom of a peanut butter jar filled the room. "We're out," She pouted before licking the knife clean, "Can you go get some more?"

He laughed and pressed a kiss against her cheek as his hands made their way underneath his flannel shirt she'd been sleeping in for the past week - she claimed it was the only thing she was comfortable in and it only warmed his heart whenever she said. She was working hard to get their baby girl ready to come into the world; if his shirt could help with that, then she could do whatever she wanted with it. "I just went to the store," He said glancing down at the two pieces of toast she had on the plate, "And I think you have enough on there anyway," He remarked; he couldn't actually see any bread, just brown peanut butter goo that was simply coating the entire thing.

"But we're craving it," She pouted, turning her head for a kiss.

He connected their lips tenderly, before pulling back and raising his eyebrows, "We?" He asked, kneeling down to press a kiss against her stomach.

"We."

He shook his head and let her go as she grabbed her toast and headed the few feet towards their sofa, "You know once she's here you won't be able to use that excuse anymore?"

Camila sighed and ignored him, "Can you pass me the candy?"

"Why?" He grinned at her knowingly, leaning on the kitchen countertop.