Why Not Me?

Omniscient pov:

All of them were wearing masks, covering their identities. A white van parked in the middle of the street, they opened the back doors taking a couple of black bags, pulling the guns out. They started shooting at the windows and the walls from outside and after their guns were out of bullets, they realoaded and walked to the porch, kicking the front door open.

chen's pov:

"Neighbors started calling the police after hearing gunshots firing in Quiet River Avenue today morning. Turns out the shooting was directed at Chanel Gates' house. The intruders broke in by force, leaving valuables and taking Gates' daughter instead." Said the reporter.

I looked away from the big screen at the office and cried harder into Andy's shirt. He's been at the station since I called him when they were shooting at the house. We've been sitting in this police station for 8 hours now, from 5 A.M till now 2 P.M .

Our lawyer is here too, having a conversation with the Lieutenant and trying her best to convice him to make this easier for us and start demanding the whole department to look for Ocean and find her as soon as possible.

Andrew wiped his tears and held my hand tightly, "We'll find her, okay? She's gonna be back in our arms in no time," He reassured me through gritted teeth, hatred and anger laced through his tone.

"I'm so sorry, it's my fault. I we should've stayed in Hawaii, I just wanted her to get the chance to say goodbye," I weeped.
"Hey! You didn't do that. Stop saying this none sense. What happened to you doesn't define you or your future, and it was in the past," He said. "Then why did they take my daughter? Why not me?"
He sighs, "I don't know."

Our lawyer came out of the lieutenant's office and walked up to us. "He said he'll get her back as soon as he can. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. Stay strong;" She flashed a sympathetic smile at us before walking out.

-Time Skip-

1 week later...
It's been a week. No leads, no suspects. My daughter is missing and I have been trying to run away from my reality by sleeping.

I thought that was left in the past, but apparently these fuckers still want to mess with me and my family, even though it didn't involve me anymore.

Billie called me the night I came back from the station, she tried making me feel better. In fact, she tries everyday.

My eyelids flutter closed as I sipped on my teacup. I'd be lying if I said that I've moved from my bed throughout the week. I'd only go to pee and to refill my teacup. I even brought the tea maker up to my room so I wouldn't have to move as much.

I'm very unmotivated, but honestly I don't feel like doing anything about it. Ever since Ocean went missing I find it hard to do simple tasks such as brush my teeth, eat, shower, etc.

Her not being around hasn't been easy on me nor on her father. The police are doing the best they can. I've been trying my best and needless to say Andrew hasn't left my side either.

He suggested I should move to the new house in Hawaii since I have PTSD from that one. Especially that there are fucking bullet holes in every wall and broken glass everywhere.

Billie would call me and check in everyday. I deleted social media apps from my phone and let my management run it.

I just couldn't bear anything anymore.

Billie has been checking on me every couple of hours. She'd call or text me. My days has been the same; wake up, cry, stare at the wall for hours and overthink, then go back to sleep.