0 | you're the sky that i fell through

"Good job, officer."

Seungcheol receives a pat to which he smiles, gratefully mostly to himself than being complimented. After all, he worked hard all day, seven days a week just to get by the never-ending bills and rents. The landlord, a halmeoni, was kind enough not to scream at his face unlike other tenants (or was it because he was handsome?) yet she pleads he pays at the end of the week, and he's trying.

He thanks the chief with a tired smile, tipping his cap as he walks out of the office, out of the station. He makes haste going home as it is late, his digital watch ticks 11:45 pm and he panics, running all the way to the train station that was thankfully nearby. 

Three stops. 20 minutes. Surely Seokmin can wait. He feels bad but he's on his way home. He feels like he's taking advantage of his kindness, how genuine the kid is--but he keeps his promise. It may be late, but they can order late pizza takeout. It's a Saturday night, and today was luckily his payday, all the reason why they should order pizza.

The trains were empty and quiet, only the sound of the bustling engine fills the chilly night and silent station. It's eerie, a little lonely, and it makes Seungcheol want to just teleport all the way home already. On cue, he finds his pockets vibrating. He fishes out his phone and recognizes the landline number on the screen. "Minnie?"

"Appa!" Screams the person on the other line, to which Seungcheol expected but he wasn't exactly ready for it either. He distances his phone from his ear and brings it close near again. "S-Sorry..."

Seungcheol laughs, "Aigoo, what is it, Minnie?"

"Are you on your way home?" The older hums in reply so Seokmin continues. "What took you so long?"

"I'm sorry, uncle Dragon talked to me before I left so it took a while..." He explains briefly, slumping on his seat slightly. He brushes his messy hair with his fingers. "...but I'm on the train. Ah--be quick, I'm gonna lose signal soon. Gonna go underground."

"Ah there's nothing more!" The child giggles through, and it was contagious enough for him to do the same. "Ah wait, actually uh, um...today's a Saturday..."

Seungcheol grinned. "Thought you'd never ask. Call up Uncle Gyu and ask him to deliver your favorite. I'll be home just in time then." 

"Appa, I love you!" was all he said and it's enough for Seungcheol to know that it also means thank you. He takes it. "I love you more."

The whole train ride felt a little less lonely after the call, looking forward to coming home. 

Somehow, it sunk to him that these days, it's easy for him to say it back. I love you more. And to think it weighs heavier than I love you too, it just shows how much Seokmin had impacted on him as an individual. Not only that, mundane things such as being called up in the middle of a train ride just to check up on you, being told you are loved for ordering pizza...it makes his heart melt, more than how his past girlfriends made him feel back then. Sometimes, it overwhelms Cheol that it brings a tear to his eye, but his pride as a police officer forbids him to cry. Still, he holds close the emotions it brings him, how pure it is when it's from Seokmin.

When he said he'll protect him, he puts his whole life into that promise.

Before he knows it, the officer arrives at his stop and he dashes in and out of the station. He basically runs, a little impatient, and also is confident for his stamina and endurance. What is a police officer that cannot last a whole minute running? 

Though, amidst the dark alleyway on the way home, he finds a man staggering, his shoulders slumping as he gets through the street acting like a zombie. He suddenly coughs and coughs and coughs, that it worries Seungcheol. It's his compassionate heart as a police that taught him so, also Seokmin who's a full-breed of an angel. If he was here, he would have cried and wished he would grow up soon becoming a doctor just so this man, whoever he was, wouldn't cough like that anymore.

Though, Cheol runs past at him, more mindful of Seokmin back at home than this drunk adult. What do the ads say? The labels? Drink responsibly. He thinks it's none of his business, even if he's a police officer, to mind over people who are intoxicated. Of course, it's a different story when judgement is needed and it gets unfair for one party. In this case, he's perfectly fine. Not.

His phone rings again, making him snap back to his senses as he slows down a bit and answers the phone. Even without checking the screen, he knows who's on the line. "I'm one block away!"

"Uncle Gyu is here!" Seungcheol smiles at the giggle that follows. It seems like the phone shifts because there's a murmur behind, and he immediately recognizes. "Oi, hyung, why are you leaving Minnie all alone at this hour?"

"You're really asking me that, Mingyu?"

"Geez...You should've told us if you can't be home early. The restaurant was basically empty today."

"Then you should've let me know." He hears a scoff on the other line, but they both chuckle at that. The offer was a bit too late, but it's reassuring. He appreciates it and once more, Seungcheol runs again, this time, straight home.

Before he knows it, he's meeting Seokmin halfway through the corridor as the younger runs up to him and attacks him with a hug, his arms wrapped around his torso. His warmth seeps into Cheol's skin and fends off the cold brought by the night. He's almost thrown off by the impact, to which they only laugh at. 

Seungcheol glances at him then at Mingyu who stood by the door, a pizza on his hand. He was grinning as well, his canines showing. "Mind if I stay for a slice?"

"Hell no, go home, Mingyu."

"You're no fun." Seungcheol chuckles, waving at him then turns to the child that clung on to him like a koala.

"Welcome home, appa!" Seokmin stands tall just above his hip, 7 years old, turning 8 in a few months. His hair is a bit lighter than Cheol's, and his beauty mark on his cheek is a detail anyone wouldn't miss at first glance. The child grins up at him with his gummy smile, teeth flashing healthily. Seungcheol couldn't help but smile back down at him, all his exhaustion from today had vanished with just the younger's presence. 

"I'm home, Minnie."