7.

Rachael showed me the way to detention and I came in. The school's Principal was there, but so were the three girls who had insulted Rachael. I sat down at a desk away from them.

"I'll pick you up later," Rachael said.

Detention was quite the chore it turned out. I was given the school's student rulebook, I had to read it, then I had to copy out the section about fighting on school property again and again until I was allowed to leave.

By the end of it my hand was left so terribly sore and numb. I opted to stop by the bathrooms before finding Rachael.

As I came out of the stall, Katrin stepped in front of me, she and her friends blocking my way. "This is not over you little bitch."

"Step aside."

"I don't think so."

"My hand is rather sore at this time, and I would rather not have to go through this whole detention process all over again because of you."

"So damn cocky, just because you got lucky last time doesn't mean you—"

I was rapidly tiring of their platitudes, so I spoke over her. "Let us cut a deal," I said, "Hit me with your strongest punch, and we can call it even? I will not fight back."

I could have hurt them, but that would have only landed me in more trouble, and possibly drawn undue attention.

She grinned like a madman. "'I'm gonna enjoy this."

She hit me square in the face and pulled her hand back, shaking it in pain. Her friends started punching and kicking, more than once. What had I expected?

I bent over under their attack, Elders were strong but not without pain. I closed my eyes and waited, letting them get their satisfaction. They kept kicking at my sides and I shielded my face with my arms.

It was then that Rachael arrived. "Leave her alone!" She wrestled one of the girls and threw her against the sink.

"The little tranny's protecting her friend now."

"Yeah, and that little tranny is gonna scream and get people's attention, you want to get expelled fucking try me!"

The girls looked at each other. "Go to hell."

"You first." Rachael spat back.

They left us alone, clearly being expelled was a great threat.

"Ana, are you okay?"

"I will be," I said.

Rachael grabbed some paper and cleaned the blood from around my mouth. "Are you going to be? Why didn't you fight back?"

"I would have been in trouble, besides if they got their little revenge maybe they would leave us alone...."

"Stupid zero-tolerance rules," Rachael started crying. "This is all my fault..."

"It is not."

"You did this to defend me! You got hurt because of me!"

"I'm an elder, this is hardly anything," I reassured her. I took her in my embrace. "There is no need to cry, I would do it again in a heartbeat."

I held her until the tears stopped.

"I'm so sorry..." her words were still broken by the odd sob.

"I chose this course of action, it is my honor to protect my sister after all."

"You really are going with this whole sister thing, aren't you?" She let out a very small and dry laugh.