Chapter 1

6 six years since she cried.

6 years since she smiled.

6 years since he lied.

6 years since he died.

-

It could take days, weeks, months, even years to build something as big as a relationship, a bond. And only the snap of a finger to destroy.

You could think you have your whole life planned out, able to be written out on a piece of paper. You could think that your life is perfect until it's not anymore. Life is perfect until a call, a crash, a calamity later and all your dreams go to shit.

That's what happened to Kaivalya.

When she heard the news of her father's passing, she was sent back to the orphanage. In the five years in foster care, she had been to fourteen different homes. Seven abusive, four neglectful, and three she couldn't care less about. Her latest foster home was the worst, the one that stripped her of herself, the one that made her lose herself, the one she ran away from.

"Hey, come back here brat." The chubby man yelled, yelling after the eleven year old. She had been going to his store, stealing every day for the whole year. He began giving up chasing after the thief.

She sat on the street corner, munching on the stolen granola bar, hair strands sat in front of her face. A mysterious figure watched the entire encounter from a distance. On his way to work everyday, he saw that same girl on the street corner. He was curious as to why the girl who looked no older than ten was always alone in the street. He feared for her safety, New York wasn't the safest environment to be in, especially for a child.

The granola bar was stale, you could tell it had been sitting on the shelves in the corner store for ages. Not many people visited 'Steven's Store'. The place had been around for years and the same people had been in and out of it. Not that she could blame them, the moldy walls and the rotting roof were enough to drive people away from the establishment. The owner's name wasn't even Steven.

Kai never complained about her living situation, it could've been worse, it has been worse. What was one stale granola bar compared to years of abuse? Every time she wanted to complain about her shitty lifestyle, she always reminded herself it could've been worse, because it has.

André's lifestyle was almost opposite from Kaivalya's. As a child, everything had been handed to him on a silver platter but never got any love and attention from his parents. As soon as he turned eighteen, he took all of the funds in his bank account and left his siblings without turning back. He then worked and started his own company, becoming a well-known CEO. People recognized him wherever he went, it was hard to do anything without paparazzi on his ass, watching his every move. Saying the attention was annoying was an understatement but this was the life he signed up for. He yearned for attention and he got it.

Kai finished her bar, wiping the messy crumbs of her face. She let out a loud sigh, contemplating on whether or not she would risk it to get something to drink. Her dry mouth was practically begging for something to satisfy her thirst. André could no longer watch the girl suffer, he made his way towards her, pulling out a wad of cash from his wallet. He had been wanting to do this for a long time, he always thought she had some sort of family but after watching her sleep on the street for weeks, he knew she was alone.

As he walked toward the eleven year old, heads turned. André was very attractive in the eyes of many watchers. He never considered himself above average in the looks scale. The girl looked up at the sound of loud footsteps approaching her. She glared at the man coming near her. He handed the girl a large amount of money, expecting her to jump for joy. He was surprised when she handed him the money back.

"I- I don't need your money." She spat but the cold air prevented her from speaking clearly. It was partially true, Kaivalya would receive all of her father's money after she turned eighteen. It wasn't much, but it was enough to live off the streets for a couple of years.

"Just take it." He handed the money back to her. Why doesn't she just take the money?

"I. Don't. Want. It." She gritted through closed teeth. Why couldn't this man see she wanted to be alone, needed to be alone?

"Why are you being so ungrateful, I'm trying to help you?"

"Ungrateful," She scoffed. "Get the fuck out of here." André was shocked by the little girl's language, she looked ten but spoke like she was a teen. André stormed off and Kai almost laughed at his immature behavior. Keyword: Almost.

Kaivalya promised herself she wouldn't show emotions because look where that got her. On the street, cold, and alone. Alone.

She set up her tattered cards in seven piles, increasing the amount as she went along. She set the remaining pile faced down to the side. She played the game of solitaire.

But she played the game of solitaire everyday.