Chapter 7

A lie solid throughout,

A lie that brings pain,

A lie so planned out,

You would think she was insane.

Everyone is a liar. Whether everyone wants to admit it or not, everyone lies, from a small white fib to a lie that can alter the course of a life. A lie can break a bond, a trust, a heart. And yet everybody still does it.

Pathological liars are the most dangerous. They lie, no matter how big, how small. Most liars fib with an intent to benefit themselves or others. Pathological liars compulsively lie with no benefit, no gain, no reward.

The lies pile up into elaborate stories, so thought out, they start to believe themselves.

Solitaire

"You can't just go running off like that! I had no idea where you were." André runs out with a panicky look on his face. His eyes were wide and cheeks were flushed, his face slightly glistening from sweat.

"You knew my dad? And you didn't say anything?" She breathed out, his eyes only widened further as he frantically shook his head.

"Kai, what are you talking about? I have no idea who your dad is. What's going on?"

"Bullshit. He was your damn brother and you didn't say anything? You're telling me you have no idea who he is?" She yelled, enraged.

His hand clamped over his mouth as he came to the realization. His brother, Alexandre always talked about his daughter. It seemed to be the only thing he cared about after his biological family. But there was something about her that he couldn't shut up about.

"My baby has the most beautiful eyes."

André stared deep into Kai's deep gray eyes. The more he stared, the more familiar he became with them.

How did he not notice?

Although he never saw her in person, he's always been told how mesmerizing her eyes were. The pictures in his family's restaurant should've given him a clue. He felt so stupid.

"That explains why you were so nice to me, nobody's ever nice without a reason. You felt guilty. Because you knew." Tears quickly filled her alluring eyes as her voice began to crack.

"Kaivalya, I- I swear I had no idea."

"I want to believe you, I want to believe you so badly." He was about to rebuttal but she muttered something before walking away.

"But my trust has been broken too many times."

-

She didn't know why she cared so much.

She told herself it was because he lied but even if did, why did she care so much? What would be the difference between her knowing or not? Would she have drifted away from the constant reminder of her dad or would that have brought them closer together?

And it didn't make sense for him to keep a secret like that, it didn't seem like something he would do. Knowing how much he loved to talk, it was bound to slip out eventually. But it never did.

Maybe he kept it from her to try to protect her?

Maybe he thought it would push her away?

Or maybe, just maybe, he had nothing to keep.

All she knew was that she couldn't trust anybody, her heart couldn't take another break.

André

I did all my research, all the planning, just for it to end like this.