Part 1

It was in first grade when we first met. I remember it so clearly I laugh at the memory now. I was sitting on a bench as tears ran down my face. I was the new kid and no one really liked me. I heard someone sit next to me and when I turned around I was met with you.

"Hi there I'm Ryuguji"

You said with a smile that could light up the world. The warmth radiating off your body calmed me and I couldn't help but smile back.

"I-I'm y/n". I whispered back.

It was like your smile only grew from the newfound information of my name and it set a feeling in my heart that I'm all too familiar with to this day.

"Why are you crying"? You asked tilting his head like a lost puppy. My smile instantly turned into a frown thinking about what had transpired prior to our meeting.

"The kids were calling me ugly and hitting me". I responded tears already forming in my eyes.

You noticed this and your big smile turned into a soft one.

"Well don't listen to them you're beautiful"!

I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks. You said it with such confidence as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Thank you"

I could feel your eyes on me while I fumbled with my fingers. I felt hands grab my face that made me look at you. You caressed his fingers so softly over a bruise that had started to form. You looked angry but also sympathetic.

"Does it hurt"?

I shake my head as best as I could with your hands still cupping my face. You took your hands off of me and had the most determined look on your face that only brought me confusion, and you had no idea how the next words you said would affect me so much they brought tears to my eyes just thinking about them twelve years later.

"Don't worry I'll protect you from now on"