Chapter 1 ✶ I'll be seeing you

"Underneath the bridge, trap has sprung a leak. And the animals I've trapped, have all become my pets."

Song of the chapter:
Something In The Way by Nirvana

I hum along to the random rock song that dances through the speakers, signing Iris Campbell in red ink on the millionth dotted line for today

I swear my hand will be permanently stuck to this stupid pen after tonight.

I pick up the piece of paperwork placing it onto the thick stack of more paperwork. I blow out a sigh of relief now that I'm finally done with the boring part of this job. I grab the pile of paper standing to my feet pushing the comfortable rolling chair back into the wall.

I walk from behind the desk through the archway that leads me into the main room. I pass the tattoo chairs going straight for my office in the back, I glance around the room taking small mental notes on what I'm still missing.

I put up vintage band posters all over the walls this morning, I laid a fuzzy green rug in the front room as well, I thought it was a nice contrast from the black and white checkered tile.

I also hung up a red light up sign in the front room, it reads Skeleton Key, I wanted to really in-force the new name. 

It's a small start, but a start nonetheless.

I push the door open to a pitch black room. I click on the dim lamp that sits in the corner walking over to my desk I tug the drawer open. Dropping the large stack of paper into the empty drawer I push it closed locking it with the small key that I have clutched in my hand.

I grab my purse from the top of the desk digging through all the shit I have piled in here. My hand finally meets the cold metal box that acts as a mint holder. I bring it out popping the lid open, I place that little key in there snapping it closed.

I drop the tin box back in my purse before slinging the leather bag over my shoulder feeling actual excitement spark in my stomach at the thought of going back to the house.

I'm exhausted.

I switch the lamp off walking back into the main room already dreaming of a nice relaxing shower, maybe even a glass of wine, or some adult bullshit like that.

A Nirvana song clicks on through the radio, I smile at the familiar song. Something In The Way, he would fucking kill me if he heard me listening to this now.

I smile at that thought.

I drag my feet towards the front room with the intention of shutting off the speakers along with the lights when I hear that little bell go off alerting me that someone has just walked in.