The Ministry's System

"I hope you all know the system of this Defense Against the Dark Arts examination routine for this year," the toad-faced woman chirped as she beamed at the uneasy room of Slytherins and Ravenclaws. They all shook their heads and muttered low dissent.

Well, almost all of them.

Erwin John Smith merely acknowledged the question half-heartedly and swept it aside. He knew the answer: Professor Snape made sure he was one of the first to know. Not that there was a link between them as strong as that fifth-year Malfoy and Snape's, of course- it was only the gleaming Head Boy badge with its silver 'HB' lettering that the Slytherin head of house had his eye on.

Naturally he nodded and pretended to be interested- but really, he almost wished for any of their old teachers to return- even that stuck-up Gilderoy Lockhart- to return after he knew of the new 'system':-

"Last year you had begun to study for your NEWTs requirements with that, ah, defective old auror teacher before he... well." The lady in pink cleared her throat with a honeyed hem hem. "The Ministry of Magic has assigned new books especially for you seventh-years to brush up on your intellectual skills!" She flicked her wand and their new textbooks landed on their desks with loud thumps. "Now," she ordered cheerfully, "open to pa-"

"But what about hands-on learning, professor?"

The entire Slytherin column turned to look at one girl- the Ravenclaw prefect.

Erwin rolled his eyes, wanting to levitate himself into his dormitory, collapse on his four-poster, and doze off for eternity. Here she was again, in all her know-it-all glory: Hanji Zoë.

"Excuse me?" Professor Umbridge's beady eyes widened likewise to her cheesing smile. "What was that question?"

"I said," Hanji repeated, raising her voice, "what about hands-on learning? Actually learning and applying defense spells, like. We're not going to learn by textbook the entire year, right professor?"

The Ravenclaws shared agreeing stares between them. Even Marie, who sat next to Erwin, looked a little doubtful.

Professor Umbridge's smile widened unnaturally. "Well, dear, we're going to have to leave that part until the exam, now shouldn't we?"

"But-"

"Open to page three. No more questions unrelated to our topic."

Professor Umbridge, Erwin amused himself by thinking, sounds like she stirs way more syrup in that teacup of hers than she ought to.

As the students' eyes scanned and read the boring unfamiliar article about banned Dark curses, Erwin found his gaze drifting to Hanji Zoë more than usual. He had thought that the Ravenclaws would be the happiest to learn following the new system of the Ministry. They usually liked big books and as little action as possible. Maybe this prefect was different? He couldn't be quite so sure- he had heard Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, praise the excellently intellectual Hanji Zoë up, down, left, and right. At first Erwin was interested in meeting this wonderfully talented student and learning a few of what she knew, but all his admiration screeched to a stop when he finally recognized her identity in his fifth year- the insufferable muggleborn Ravenclaw who thought she was a cut above the rest because of her good grades. He'd heard enough of his endless praising little less than a day ago, on their first day, and now the very sight of the woman made him want to snap his wand in half.

Since the sudden revelation of her true identity, Erwin Smith wanted to hurl every time he heard her name: Hanji Zoë this, Hanji Zoë that. Erwin was actually worried they'd place her as Head Girl beside him. They were still choosing someone who'd fit the position as the supposed girl and her family 'disappeared mysteriously' over the summer. There was a very high chance they'd replace her with Hanji. Erwin prayed the headmaster had the sense not to burden her and her know-it-all mouth with him.