Owl Post

Wednesday couldn’t come soon enough.

Erwin went from student to student, inquiring about their lessons with Dolores Umbridge. They all replied the same way.

                “She’s horrible,” a second-year Hufflepuff squeaked. “Professor Moody was better.”

                “That pink toad?” Pansy Parkinson shrieked. “I’ve seen hags in Knockturn Alley better-looking than her!”

                “I haven’t met her yet, we have her on Tuesdays and Wednesdays,” a Gryffindor girl named Angelina Johnson panicked. “Is she that horrible, Smith?”

He only sighed. “Despite that we’re going to play against each other, Bell, I can’t help but feel really horrible for you. She’s terrible.”

                “Oh. Oh, right. Quidditch.”

                “You are Quidditch captain, right?”

                “Yeah… I was appointed this year. Wood was so sad about leaving, but now he plays for Puddlemere United! Lucky git.”

Erwin tried for a sympathizing smile. They were becoming harder to give every day. Was he losing his touch? “Same here. Snape expects me to lead victories for Slytherin or something.”

                “Did the Head Boy set you up to this?” Angelina narrowed her eyes. “I hear he’s Slytherin this year.”

                “You’re right. He’s me.”

                “Oh!” her eyes widened. “Oh- oh. I, erm, I didn’t offend-?”

                “Nah. Good luck on the game we’re playing next month.”

A flush of red was sprayed across Angelina Johnson’s face in embarrassment. “You too, Smith.”

                “Oh, and Johnson?” he said, pivoting on his heel for a last note.

                “Yeah?”

                “Don’t be too discouraged about Umbridge. I have a plan.”

*

                On Tuesday night, after scrounging the library’s newspaper hatch personally, Erwin made it a point to share what he had found out about the High Inquisitor to Hanji.

What he found was so precious and juicy and important that it would surely drive Hanji to insanity- that is, if she wasn’t already insane. His information was so useful, and he won’t let it go to waste.

                Despite Hanji’s craziness and weird antics, he couldn’t help but take it upon himself to let her know everything he knew. He doubted there was a person who agreed with him more over academic issues.

                It was her right to know, and Erwin didn’t mind sharing one bit.

Was that natural? he asked himself as his quill made scratching sounds over the roll of unfurled parchment he was writing on. I mean- she’s a fellow prefect, after all. We need to get this Umbridge issue solved once and for all.

                A few minutes later, when he was satisfied with what he wrote, he attached the letter to the leg of a large eagle owl of Montague’s. He watched it soar over the towers. Erwin watched the mechanisms of its flight in awe. Maybe he should’ve gotten a proper owl than that spoiled Siamese…

Erwin didn’t jump when he felt something warm being rubbed against his ankle.

                “Think of the devil and the devil will come,” he only said, lifting Helena and placing her onto his lap. “Hello, Helena.”

She only purred, butting his stomach with her head. “You’re the worst evil cat ever,” Erwin murmured quietly, stroking her head. He wondered if Hanji Zoë liked cats…

                “Levi! Levi, honestly, come on-“

                 “Step back, Shitty Glasses,” Levi snapped, swatting the large owl away. “I’m reading it.”

                “But it’s not yours,” she replied angrily, her face reddening. “Give it back.”

Levi sneered cruelly, tearing the string effortlessly. He obviously enjoyed seeing Hanji get angry with him. Angering her was one of his favorite hobbies. It was also one of hers, but that was another issue. She never had the indecency to go through his private business. She certainly never taken anything and ruined it the way he had with her letter.

                He read the address out loud: “From Erwin John Smith, Head Boy, and Chief Prefect of Slytherin house. Wow, Hanji, your boyfriend really thinks he’s superior, doesn’t he?”

Hanji clenched her teeth, her hand tightening around her wand. “He’s not my boyfriend and you know it, Levi.”

                “Right. Who is, again?” He raised a judgmental eyebrow at her.

She sighed. “You, Levi.”

                “I’m sorry; I didn’t catch that last part.”

                “Give me my letter, Ackerman.

Levi’s eyes narrowed in disgust. “Okay, whatever.” He threw it aside, and Hanji barely caught it with a Wingardium Leviosa.

By the time she picked it up, her eyes stung with humiliated tears. Oh, why did she have to fall in love with Levi of all people? Damn him. Damn-him-damn-him-damn-him-

She kept thinking that over and over again, blinking. She opened the letter and read;

Dear Hanji Zoë Bennett,

                  I hope your week has been well. I never really took the chance to properly apologize for my ‘claiming responsibility’ over your actions in Potions class. You should keep in mind that you’re much more that Snape actually thinks.

Hanji’s eyes widened. Smith? Really?

                Now that your grade in oral potions has improved correctly (I have checked again with Professor Snape over the matter), I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me, for we have to talk over an urgent matter. If you have a free period before lunch, meet me at the drawbridge.

And most importantly, brace yourself. We have some planning to do.

With regards,

Erwin John Smith, Head Boy of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Chief Prefect of Slytherin house.

PS: Look sharp, for we do not want to arouse suspicion. Don’t be tardy.

                The knot in Hanji’s throat had increased rapidly not out of sadness or anger, but out of anxiousness. She took a deep breath, trying to keep her head clear. The ‘urgent matter’ meant Umbridge. Oh Lord, what did that toad have in mind for them? He was right, this was important. This was no situation to be late in.

                She pushed her bitter thoughts of Levi aside and went to make herself look more presentable after writing her hasty reply to him:

Hey, HB.

Don’t worry about me. Thanks again, by the way. My grades won’t be drastic now, thank to you. Snape really looked like he wants to shred me to pieces.  

And truly- I too are sorry. I’ll try to fix it up with you. Cross my heart and I hope to fly, you can stick a cupcake in my eye! Ha ha- please dont. Watch out for Filch.

Coucou,

Hanji Zoë.

PSS: I’ll try my best.