Black Lake, Red Ink

She kept gnawing on her pen.

                Yes, yes, she had to use a quill, but Hanji found using ordinary muggle writing utensils much easier than all that fancy stuff that wizards liked to write with so much. She’d tried in her first year to get used to the narrow stick of the feather but just couldn’t. Although they were bewitched with feeble Strengthening spells, Hanji’s quills never lasted for long.

                Levi elbowed her, forcing her to concentrate on their assignment. She picked up her wand again and waved it, trying to transfigurate her toad, Sawney Bean, into a rabbit. Although it was one of her favorite subjects, Transfiguration was hard for her. But it pleased her to see Levi struggling as well- until he successfully turned Sawney’s webbed feet into rabbit paws.

                With a new irk in her shoulders, Hanji waved her wand determinedly- too determinedly.  

Sawney Bean gave an irritated ‘Ribbit!’ of protest which was quickly turned into soft cooing as it turned into a white dove, which flew around the Transfiguration classroom.

                The other students sniggered heartily. With a satisfied smile, Professor McGonagall waved her wand and transfigured the thing back into Sawney Bean, who fell with a loud plop on Levi’s desk.

He probed it with his wand in disgust. “Filthy slime,” he muttered. “A bird, really?”

                “Well, Mr Ackerman, I’d like to see you turn the merest matchstick into a needle,” McGonagall said unexpectedly, looming over their desk. “I kindly remind you that while Ms Bennett has the exceptional skill to turn a dragon into a thestral, you barely scraped an Acceptable in your Transfiguration OWL. Now try again.”

                Hanji couldn’t help but grin gratefully at the old spinster Professor, who stretched her thin lips into a smile.

Levi was more irritable than usual since his embarrassment. He didn’t try harder or repent for his mistakes. He only waved his wand with no concentration, trying to do it the way Hanji had.

Needless to say, the only thing he managed to do was scorch the wood top of their desk, an action that had a few points deducted off of Gryffindor.

                “And perhaps you’d learn to behave next time, Mr Ackerman,” McGonagall said coolly. “Off you go, now. Remember to hand in an essay about the uses of animal Transfiguration in wizarding wars and riots. Take a permission slip to borrow books from the Restricted Section of the library ahead of time, because I want it by next week. Class dismissed.”

The class disbanded, and Hanji had just remembered her promise to arrive. When she hastened in her steps, Levi questioned her.

                “Is it because you’re meeting up with Bighead?” he asked quietly, offering to take her bag. “You could always say no if you don’t want to come.”

                “It’s not that I don’t want to come, it’s just that I have to come.” Hanji said, exaggerating slightly. “It’s important business. Top secret.”

                “Ah, of course,” Levi said sarcastically. “Just do some shit when you’re done. And hex him for me.”

She only sighed, holding Sawney Bean carefully. Thankfully there was a fellow Ravenclaw heading upstairs who agreed to hold him for her.

With her hands empty but her head full of thoughts, Hanji rushed off, hoping she wasn’t late.