Chapter 3

Dev walked slowly to his car from Dr. Navya's office, his mind in turmoil. He started his car, letting the engine run. His thoughts flew back to the day he had visited Asha Ma in the hospital with Sona. He had gone inside the room to see Asha Ma, while Sona stayed back outside to have a chat with the doctor.

Asha Ma looked weaker, she had lost weight. But her eyes held the same light as always. He took her hand in his, talking to her softly. "Hmmm, so what say, should I make a reservation? Date night, Asha ma?"

"Dev, you are impossible!" She smiled at him.

"Don't say that! You aren't Miss Bose!" He whined.

"What does that have got to do with anything?"

"That has everything to do with this! You can call me anything other than 'Impossible', because you are Mrs. Bose."

"Fine. Here you go, get ready. Dev, you are incorrigible!" She finished. Her feeble voice sounded amused.

"That's right. Much better, although I may have to check that word's definition. Oh, by the way, that restaurant has the best reviews for fish and I am not as stubborn as your husband! So, think again before turning me down!" Dev added.

"I wish I could understand what is it with you and Bijoy. It's like having two stubborn, competitive kids."

"I am very mature. I cannot speak for other people." He declared, rolling his eyes. He was glad to see her laugh at that.

"I wish the doctor could tell how long I have to be here in this place." She sighed.

"Only as long as it takes for you to get all better. And that isn't far away. So, you focus on when the sequel of your book should be released. And I get to have the first signed copy this time, not Baba." She squeezed his hand in acknowledgment and closed her eyes.

He sat there, until she fell asleep and then slipped out of the room quietly. Sona was still talking to the doctor and as he walked over to join them. He heard the doctor telling Sona that Asha Ma's kidneys were affected, so they needed another consultation with the nephrologist. However, her latest results looked a little better. Dev could see Sona visibly brightening, relieved. Maybe, everything was getting better. Yes, Asha ma was going to be better in no time.

As Sona was filling out some forms, he stood next to her updating her on other happenings in their lives. The kids, their projects, his work, the upcoming seminar. "So, I had been thinking it will be good if I am able to go." He finished.

"What?" She looked up, puzzled.

"You know, for that project, it will be good if I can attend that seminar, to get that investor to come on board with me. In place of the one who backed out. You didn't hear what I was saying?"

"You want to attend a seminar?"

"Yes, it will be a very good opportunity for meeting that prospective investor, he is the main organizer."

"You want to attend a seminar overseas?" The repeat of the question was odd. The weight she placed on the words, 'attend' and 'seminar'. Was he overthinking this?

"Sona, I am just saying, it would be good if I didn't miss that. You understand, right? I just heard the doctor say that Asha Ma's latest results seemed better. And she is going to get well soon. The kids will be fine at home. It's only for 3-4 days."

She straightened up. "Yes, of course, I understand." What was that? He tried to decipher the undertone of her voice; it didn't sit quite right. She kept arranging the papers in order. Something seemed off.