Chapter 9

Dr. Navya Anand eyed the young couple sitting on her couch. Close, but not close together. Dev and Sonakshi Dixit.

They were the textbook urban couple, both of them extremely successful in their fields. Entrepreneurs owning their companies. Attractive looking and very high profile in the Delhi power circuit, catching the interest of the media wherever they went. But here, sitting on this couch, they seemed like they were vulnerable, like they were in the middle of a war battling demons. It was right. They were battling their own relationship demons.

They had approached her a few weeks ago, as a medium to mend their marriage. Well, Sonakshi Dixit had approached her. She could sense Dev Dixit was there against his will. He kept trying to joke around, making light of everything but his flippant attitude went through a marked change, when his wife started speaking. He looked overwhelmed as he heard Sonakshi declare that HE was her whole world. Since then, he had been trying to cooperate for her, but she could see that he still did not see the reason they were doing this. Sonakshi, on the other hand, looked disturbed at his surface-level cooperation, but held on anyway. They both completed whatever tasks were assigned to them, but on a deeper level, Dr. Navya could see that their efforts left a lot to be desired.

They were cruising along when the breakthrough happened at their last joint session, when Mrs. Dixit, quite unexpectedly divulged the reason for her withdrawal sending her husband into a shock. Both of them looked like they didn't know what to make of the reveal, and left her office, looking lost. Later, she received calls from both of them asking to see her privately. She had spoken to both of them separately, hearing their individual versions of the life-changing event, their feelings. And now, they were both here together in front of her. She watched them carefully, their body language speaking volumes. Sitting at the edge of the couch, stiff, backs ramrod straight, eyes on the floor. Uncomfortable to be in front of her, to be with each other and to be with their own selves.

Dr. Navya smiled. "Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Dixit. I hope you are ready for our session. Would you like something to drink before we begin?"

No answer from either of them.

"Okay, let's begin. I have talked to both of you individually after your last session and..."

She stopped as she saw both of them startled. So, the fact that each of them met with her privately was a surprise to them. Interesting.

She continued as if she didn't notice their reactions. "... and I heard both your stories of what happened during that time. I heard both of your expectations from your spouse, assumptions, your interpretation of your relationship, where it stood, where it is and where it should go."

"As I have explained to you during our first session, we counselors help to recognize and resolve conflicts and improve a couple's relationship. It is entirely upto you to make thoughtful decisions about whether you wish to rebuild and strengthen your relationship or go your separate ways. After meeting with you both for the past few times together as well as separately, I can see that both of you want to work on strengthening this relationship. Am I right?"

They both nodded in the affirmative. She could see the relief in both their eyes as they heard the other also wanted the same thing as them.

"Good. Then you are already making great progress. You recognized that there was an issue and sought help. That was the first step. And once we cross the first step, the first hurdle, it becomes easier from then on. We have just seen that both of you desire to work on this relationship to make it stronger. So, we are doing great so far." She told them in an encouraging voice.

They both were looking calmer now, as Dev sat back comfortably against the couch and Sonakshi's shoulders relaxed down as well. She was glad to see that.