Taste of the Tenderloin

TW: sexual abuse, violence, language

Gil ran through the scenario. Tomorrow afternoon he would drive me to the Tenderloin to meet with his contact Omar. We weren't going to take him this time -- instead we were going for his two grunts, Kahled and Yassim. They did 'in-calls' at a rundown home nearby, where only two other ACME Undercover still worked, the rest pulled for their safety.

"He'll never suspect you. I can tell you're smart, but you just don't move like ACME yet." Gil said, scratching his face with a jagged fingernail. I noticed a heavily faded but strangely familiar raised scar peeking from underneath his sleeve.

"I don't actually have to...you know... sleep with him?"

"No, honey." Gil assured me. "Of course not."

"We'd never make you do that." O'Malley added, patting my knee.

"However..." Gil continued. "Omar might want to take a look at what he's getting. If he wants to go a little further to see if I'll squirm...we'll have to pull the plug, so we want to avoid it."

"Try and stall -- vomit, pee, something if he pushes." O'Malley advised. "Crying isn't enough, you'll have to make it physically unattractive."

"If Omar's satisfied he'll probably send you off to the house for later, which is where O'Malley's set up for the raid. Kahled and Yassim will most likely rough you up on the way. I apologize in advance." Gil picked his teeth with his little finger. "Give them a good fight. Even if they know that Omar is supposed to have you first, they'll see what they can get away with."

"I'll have eyes on the house the whole time. As soon as they enter with you, we're taking them down." O'Malley tilted his head. "Are you okay with all of this, Red?"

"I think so." I replied, drinking it all in.

"It's normal to be uneasy. A good thing, even, as it will keep you vigilant. Just remember - control the situation. The objective is for us to pin Kahled and Yassim for both running the ring, and knowingly bringing in minors. Do what you need to do to get things there."

Gil nodded in agreement. "You're going to do just fine, honey, I can tell. You were made for this."

I mulled over those words that night, listening as Paul's pen scratched against a notepad into the late hours, writing musings about a string of break ins involving pieces from a well known local artist. Because of the nature of what I was doing, I was unable to tell him about it, and I could tell he felt a little hurt by my withholding.

The next morning, I feigned sleep until most of the other Trainees had left the dorms. As per O'Malley's and Gil's instructions I skipped the shower, brushed my teeth and got dressed in a simple outfit of an old white t-shirt and jeans. I let out last night's braids, allowing my hair to fall in loose waves around my shoulder. A spritz of some cheap perfume behind the ear and I was ready to go, a runaway looking to make some cash.

I met Gil again in South San Francisco, where I sat in his rusty pickup truck as he called Omar to confirm the meet. I affixed the recording device I was given in my ear, hiding it with hair. As Gil was always checked if he was bugged, I was going to carry it for him and help him collect much needed evidence for his own investigation.

"If you're nervous honey, you're hiding it well." Gil complimented as he drove towards the TL.
I murmured a quiet thanks, wrapped up in my own thoughts. Gil looked over with an almost parental concern. "Although this is just a taste of things to come if you choose to go the Detective route, little one, O'Malley and I completely understand if you're not ready." He glanced at the GPS. "You have about fifteen minutes to change your mind."