Redacted

I spotted Devineaux in the parking lot as we made it back to the Agency. We jogged up to him, ignoring his furrowed brows.

"Bonsoir, Isabella. Same to you, Paul." His tone was as cool as the evening breeze.

"Je suis sincèrement désolé, Directeur, I really am. I just - my Papa and I were supposed to have dinner tonight, it's been three hours and no one knows where he is. His phone's last location is just down the street. I'm so worried."

His annoyed expression quieted, molding into concern. "That's not like Hawkins." He put his car keys back into his pocket, turning towards the Poriot. "Come, both of you."

Devineaux sat us across from him in his office, giving us a crash course in leadership which I took in through watery eyes as the hours stacked up. He quickly mobilized a search team of Field Agents who canvassed the immediate area along with K9. Footage from the perimeter cameras of the Agency along with any other public access ones were being pulled for review. Simultaneously he reached out to local hospitals, while putting out a BOLO to local law enforcement for both my father and his vehicle.

After determining they should widen their radius, my Papa's gray Jeep was recovered, abandoned at the border of San Francisco heading towards San Mateo. Upon hearing this, he sent Paul back to the dorms, gently encouraging me to do the same.

"Isabella." His French was uncharacteristically soothing. "You need to eat and rest. They'll be searching through the night, and we'll get our own Aviation up if need be as soon as Wells returns."

"Non." I was surprised at how firm I managed to sound. "My father would never sleep if I was missing."

"Your daddy would want you to get a little shut eye, honey." a gruff voice agreed from the doorway. The tears began to leak unabashedly when I saw Gil's face. I gratefully buried my nose into his tobacco smelling shirt.

"You're still here?" I looked up at him, still clinging to his tree trunk of a torso. He wiped underneath my lower lashes with his calloused thumb. "I thought you were supposed to be on your assignment - "

"Do we have to change your name to little Devineaux? I'll get to it in the morning, boss." His ribbing teased a small smile onto my face. "I was just having a final night of freedom when I heard rumblings about who's responsible for our missing Detective."

"Cartel?" Devineaux asked.

"Falcon." He gave me an apologetic glance. "My source is a little inebriated, as am I, if I'm honest, but some enthusiastic youngin' was heard boasting how they've got one of our own tied up like a piggy for slaughter."

"Gilligan." Devineaux warned.

"Right." Gil's rough hand rubbed in-between my shoulder blades. "I'm an ass, Red. I'm sorry."

"I think it's best if you go back to the dorms for now, Gumshoe." Chase instructed. "You don't have enough emotional distance for this."

I felt the tears well up again. Gil cleared his throat.

"Ah, boss, I'll keep her for the night. It's too much for her to face her classmates and answer questions right now." Gil's weathered thumb passed over my cheek. "Would you like that?"

"I don't want Isabella off the campus if Falcon really is involved."

"I'm crashing in the Holmes building." Gil grinned, his not so pearly whites on full display. "Was hoping to have a different kind of female guest but glad to spend some time with my partner too."

Devineaux let out an exasperated sigh. "Gil. That's not official."

Gil winked. "Whatever you say, Dev. Let me escort my 'not partner' to our room and I'll double back?"