Chapter 3

"Hey, get up. Your shift." I heard Rhett say as he shook Jordan and I awake.
"Mhff." I moaned in protest.
"Come on, Athena, wake up." Rhett said, shaking my shoulder.
I sat up, still tired, and looked into the darkness of the elevator. I guess the lights went out, as they usually do when an elevator gets stuck.
"Okay, you guys can get some sleep now." Jordan whispered to Rhett and Link, not wanting to wake the others.
They laid down in the corner of the elevator as Jordan and I stood watch.
"Wait, who has next shift?" I asked.
"Joey and Shane agreed to next shift." Rhett whispered.
"Okay, thanks." I replied.
After twenty minuets of standing in the elevator, my stomach started growling. I hadn't eaten in a long time. I knew we needed to ration, so I just hoped it would stop growling soon.
"You can have my ration of the Snickers bar if you want." Jordan said, holding out the candy bar.
"No, I can't. You need it more than I do." I said.
"I insist." He said.
"I couldn't." I said.
"Please?"
"Okay, fine." I said.
He gave me a part of the candy bar. I ate it, and my stomach stopped growling.
"Thank you, Jordan." I whispered.
"Don't mention it." He said.
After an hour, we started hearing noises coming from outside of the elevator.
Thump thump thump. Thump thump thump.
"What was that?" I asked Jordan.
"I think they're coming." He said.
"Wake everyone up. Now." I said.
We woke everyone up, as the thumps kept getting louder and louder.
"What are we going to do?" Tyler asked, seeming frightened.
"We need a battle plan and we need to make it now." Link said.
"We need to get out of here!" Shane exclaimed.
"It was your plan to stay here!" Adam yelled.
"Well I'm sorry for thinking straight!" Shane retaliated.
"Stop yelling! If we're going to survive, we need to work together!" I commanded.
Shane and Adam stopped yelling immediately, and Jordan stood up for me.
"Athena is right," Jordan said, "if we're going to survive, we'll need to work together."
"In the event that the zombies do get in here," Felix explained, "we need to have an escape plan and a battle plan."
"Yeah. Let's just say that the zombies opened up the main doors to the elevator. What will we do?" Joey asked.
"I'll stay behind and try to fight them off." Rhett said.
"I'll help everyone out of the escape entrence at the top of the elevator." Felix remarked.
"But what if they come through the escape entrence?" Tyler asked.
"Then I'll fight them while everyone climbs down the elevator shaft. If I survive, I'll leave too." Adam said.
"Why? Why would you risk your life for us?" Jordan asked.
Adam waited for a bit, looking grief stricken. He then finally gave us an answer.
"Alesa is gone. Without her, nothing is worth living for. She's the love of my life. Without her, I have no purpose. My life has no meaning without her, so why not?"
"Because we still care about you, Adam. And Alesa might still be alive somewhere out there." Jordan explained.
"But she might not be. Think about it. She's pregnant and alone out there. She wouldn't be able to outrun the flesh eaters even if she tried. Plus, she doesn't know anyone here in LA. Who would save her?" Adam sobbed. He curled up in the corner crying.
"I know this is hard," I said placing my hand on Adam's shoulder, "but if she's not alive, I know Alesa would want you to carry on. She'd want you to be happy without her, because she loves you."
He looked at me, his face wet from his tears.
"I... I guess your right." Adam said, wiping the tears from his face.
By that time, I had completely forgotten about the thumps, and when I heard them again, they were loud.
"They're on top of the elevator." Jordan said.
The escape exit on top of the elevator was ripped open, and I got my first glance at a zombie. It's skin was bright green and it's skull was broken open with the rotting brain showing. It was disgusting, and I felt like I was about to puke, but I knew we had to escape.
Felix ripped the main doors open.
"Go." He said.