Chapter 11

I screamed in pain from the whip Rowen was beating me with, failing to shield myself with my weak arms. With every strike, the knife on the end of the tool sliced into my back. Despite my agony, Rowen didn't relent. He slapped the whip over my back again and again, laughing when I finally collapsed onto my knees.

As I lay writhing on the floor, he crouched close. "Still got that bite in you?" he asked, licking the cut on his lip.

I did my best to glare, but I don't think he could tell. My face was so messed up from the beatings, I doubted anyone would've recognized me. Hell, when I glanced in the mirror, I didn't even recognize me.

"Hey, eyes here," Rowen said, tapping my cheek. I looked at him again and he frowned. "I'm going to start teaching you discipline, and you're going to learn every lesson I teach when I teach it, do you understand?"

I wanted to spit on him, shove him away, grab at his hair and tug until he bled the same way he tugged at mine when I tried to crawl away. I almost didn't care what the consequences would be. What's one more bruise, or a dozen? But I already hurt so bad... My body was already trembling so much from just this lesson, I didn't know if I could take another.

"Don't look so glum," Rowen said. "Maybe I'll even show you off to Cliff when I'm done with you. He would want to see you smiling, wouldn't he?"

Suddenly, an alarm went off, three short beeps, and Rowen straightened.

"What's that?" I croaked.

I received a scowl from Rowen for speaking, but he didn't hit me again, so I took it I wasn't his top priority. He pulled a remote out of his pocket and switched on a TV hanging in the corner. "You watch," he said, and left the room.

The image on the screen was of a living room, but aside from Rowen walking through and disappearing into a hallway, there was nothing else. I was staring at the TV as I waited to see whatever it was he wanted me to watch when I heard a voice come through speakers I I hadn't known were there. 

"I wasn't expecting you," Rowen said, reentering the living room. Someone entered behind him and my eyes widened. 

"Where is he?" Cliff growled, looking angrier than I had ever seen him.

"I'm in here," I whispered. Then, with more volume, "I'm in here!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. He who?" Rowen asked innocently.

"Zane. Where is Zane?" Cliff demanded, he eyed the rest of the room with a heated gaze.

"Whoa," Rowen said, putting his hands up in defense. He looked genuinely concerned. "Calm down, just talk to me. He's not at your place?"

I crawled to the center of the room to see the TV better, yelling to be heard from my solitary prison. When Cliff still couldn't hear me, I struggled to my feet and stumbled to the door. I banged my fists on the metal."Cliff, I'm in here!"

I looked between the TV and the door, hoping Cliff could hear me, but my hopes soon fizzled. After Cliff stalked about the room, even coming close to the camera at one point, he seemed to deflate. "Sorry," he said. "I guess I overreacted..."

My hopes of a rescue plummeted. "No... No! Don't listen to him! He's lying! I'm here!" I yanked on the door desperately as a knot formed in my throat. No matter how horrible Cliff was or had been, he was a saint compared to this man and I was willing to go back if only to get away from Rowen. However, no matter how loud I shouted or how hard I pulled, Cliff did not hear me and the door did not open. I was forced to watch as Rowen comforted Cliff with an arm around his shoulders as he lead him back towards the front door.