Chapter 21

I lay on my back in bed, admiring my new bookmark-knife. Though I hadn't thought much about it at the shop, it truly was quite beautiful. I mean, it wasn't anything special, it wasn't shiny, and the blade wasn't sharp enough to pop a balloon let alone cut anything, but it was unique and it was mine. That was good enough for me to be content with my prize. 

The door opened and Cliff walked in. I put the grip back over the blade and slipped it into my book to avoid looking like I had been playing with a sharp object. Cliff knew I had been, but he didn't comment on it.

He sat down at his desk and started to work on something. The way he hunched over the desk in a secretive way told me whatever he was doing must have been important and I was curious despite myself. Placing my book on the nightstand, I crept up behind Cliff quietly. Peeking over his shoulder, I could see a hand-written letter written with a right slant.

"What's that?" I asked.

Cliff jumped at the sound of my voice, clearly not having heard me approach, and crumpled the note quickly. He shoved the letter into one of the drawers in his desk where I wouldn't be able to see it. "Nothing," he said hurriedly.

I frowned in suspicion. "That sure doesn't look like nothing," I retorted.

He laughed nervously, contemplating the consequences of telling me the truth. "Well..." he glanced at the drawer. "It's not nothing, but it is private."

Obviously, I thought with an inward eye roll. I decided not to push the topic since he seemed unwilling to tell whether I begged him or not. Whatever it was wasn't for me to know.

We heard a knock on the front door and Cliff took advantage of the excuse to make a clean exit. I followed him silently, half tempted to read the letter while Cliff wasn't in the room, but too afraid of getting caught.

When I entered the living room, Cliff was holding the door for Aaron to walk in. I sat down and stared at Cliff over the back of the couch as he greeted the guest. Cliff noticed and averted his eyes. Whatever he was hiding was definitely not nothing, and I was beginning to think it was more than simple a personal letter.

Aaron waved to me. "Hey, Zane," he said. "I hope you don't mind if I steal your boyfriend for most of the night. He'll be coming with me on a job."

There was an awkward cough and I glanced over Aaron's shoulder to see Cliff had turned bright red. I glowered at him. "He's not my boyfriend," I said.

"If you say so," Aaron said. "Even so, Cliff agreed to help me with a job tonight, so he won't be home until late."

I just shrugged and turned the TV on. After discussing some details of their trip, Cliff left the room to go get ready and I made small talk with Aaron about cooking until Cliff returned. He had a backpack slung over one  shoulder and had changed into a dark t-shirt and jeans. I didn't hide my discomfort at seeing him in dressed that way, and he looked a bit shameful. 

Aaron said he would go start the car, so Cliff told him he'd be there in a minute. Once Aaron had gone, Cliff turned to me. "Will you be alright by yourself?" he asked. "I know it is last minute, but Aaron really needed the help."

"Just go," I said, trying to be casual. "I'm not ten, I'm sure I can find something to do with myself for a few hours."

Cliff told me to cook whatever I wanted for dinner, and then left the house. I listened to the door shut behind me before I sighed dramatically and slid along the back of the couch to lay on my side and stare out a window. I was going to be so bored.

*******

Sam and James had gone straight back to the office to work on the image. A few hours later they had a crisp, sharp picture of their missing kid walking side-by-side with their number one suspect. They both found it odd how casual the two of them looked, but neither voiced their opinions to the other. There were a number of reasons for Zane to be out with Dine and while some of them were reasons for concern, others could simply be as easy as manipulation. They wouldn't assume the worst until the worst came.