Chapter 1

EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING
The following story depicts scenes of pressured intimacy, suicide, and abuse. In no way am I condoning such actions. If this is an uncomfortable topic for you, I urge you to select a different Wattpad story.

*******

With a slam, I closed the backseat door of my car with my foot, hefting the two boxes I was carrying higher up in my arms. "Thanks for letting me stay for the summer," I said to my dad. Though I didn't admit it, I was glad to be home after only one semester of college. My roommate for the time being had made it quite clear that he didn't sleep much, and as a result, neither did I. It was a relief to be in the quiet abode of my family home.

"We're happy to have you home, son," my dad said as he took one of the boxes from me.

As we stepped into the house, my eight-year-old brother, Remi, turned around in his seat on the couch to see us. "Zaney? What are you doing here?" he asked, swiping to grab at my shirt as I passed.

"Nice to see you too, gremlin." I stuck my tongue out at him and he did the same while wiggling his fingers in front of his nose. Then he scrambled off the couch to follow us as we went up the stairs.

Upon entering my old room, my dad and I dropped the two boxes on my old bed that my parents hadn't had the heart to get rid of yet. My room looked exactly the way I had left it a couple months before. "Gee, it's like I never left," I said with a grin.

My dad squeezed my shoulder firmly and smiled. "Believe me, we wish you didn't have to," he said.

I opened my mouth to respond with a joke, but my brother beat me to it. "Well, I don't wish that," he said smartly. "I don't have to share my ice-cream, toys, or the computer anymore. It's fun being an only kid!"

A sharp but familiar, loving voice scolded my brother as my mother entered the room. "Remington, don't say things like that. You should be happy to have your brother home," she said. She came over to me and kissed my cheek with a hug. "Hello, darling. How was your drive? Your father and I were so excited to hear you were coming to stay for the summer."

I hugged my mom back. "The drive was long, but I made it in one piece," I said. "I'm starving though, what's for dinner?"

My dad flicked my ear. "At least tell her hello before you start begging for food," he said jokingly.

I rubbed my ear as I rolled my eyes, but I told my mom she looked beautiful anyways, and she blushed happily. "I thought we could go out tonight to celebrate your temporary homecoming," she said. "Where do you want to go?"

I thought about it while my dad and I unpacked my boxes and finally decided on a small, mom-and-pop Italian restaurant that my family had been going to since I was a little kid. They had the best spaghetti for miles around and I could definitely go for some comfort food. My mom said that sounded like a wonderful idea and called to make reservations as my dad and I sat in the family room to catch up.

"So, how is school treating you? Are you making good grades?" my dad asked.

Kicking off my shoes with a sigh, I crossed my legs in my seat. "I guess. There's not as much homework, but my physics professor is a hardass," I said.

"Did he fail you?" my dad asked worriedly.

"No, but he threatened to for a couple of other students. They showed up to class a lot more often after that," I said.

My dad laughed at that and told me not to risk my neck if I ended up in his class again.

I glanced at Remi who was playing some video game on the TV. "How has it been here?"