3 | FEMALE ENERGY

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

FOR THEA, MAKING FRIENDS WAS RATHER DIFFICULT. Most people didn't really understand her sarcasm or wry sense of humor— it would often leave some of them uncomfortable, thinking she was being literal or was just plain rude. And then there was her resting bitch face, which, quite honestly, Thea didn't mind. It kept a lot of people from approaching her, which saved her awkward conversations that she had no interest in at all. Then there was the fact that her brother was dying of cancer, and most people she encountered pitied her because of that— which she hated.

Admittedly, though, Thea didn't care to make any friends. What was the point in making any? She graduated high school soon and planned on going to college. And— maybe it was a bit macabre to have even had the thought— she had also decided that when she loses Cameron, she would never return back to Forks. There wouldn't be anything there for her anymore once he was gone, nothing except memories that would hurt. Her parents could visit wherever she was at, but as far as she was concerned, that was it.

So, the point was: Thea didn't need to make any friends. Which was why, for the life of her, she just couldn't understand why her parents had invited Chief Swan and his daughter over for dinner— and why Thea had been volunteered by her mother to keep Bella company.

They just had nothing in common. Thea was all nicotine and sarcasm; she had a sharp tongue that she never bothered to hold, and a scowl on her face that rarely went away. The Chief's daughter, on the other hand, seemed to be her opposite; with her wide, doe-like eyes, shy demeanor and soft voice, Bella couldn't have been more different from Thea if she tried to be.

"Your room is really cool," Bella complimented awkwardly as she looked around.

The attic-turned-bedroom had plenty of space in it, and it was well-insulated so it felt like any other room of the house— although it was a bit chilly, as Thea tended to keep her window cracked open and her fan going. The walls were a soft olive green and the hardwood floors were a dark mahogany color; Thea's ivory bed-set complimented the color of her walls, and there was a grey fuzzy throw blanket draped over an ivory-cushioned papasan chair in the corner of the room. It sat next to her bookshelves, which held books that — from what Bella could tell — seemed to be mostly of the dystopian and mystery genres. A worn copy of Fahrenheit 451 sat atop the throw blanket, its cover and pages curling slightly, showing that it had been read more than a few times.

Across from the bookshelf, against the wall to the right of her bed, there was a computer desk with a tri-pod sitting next to it. A bulletin board was hanging above the desk, with candids of Thea's family— mostly of she and Cameron— tacked to it, as well as a brochure for Washington State University.