2 | CHRONIC DO-GOODER

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

THE EMERSON SIBLINGS WERE THE TALK OF THE TABLE WHEN EMMETT JOINED HIS FAMILY AT LUNCH. He slid into his spot between Rosalie and Jasper, clasping his large hands together as he listened to his sisters bickering with each other. Rosalie was beside herself, livid at the idea that her mate had finally made an appearance― only to end up being A: a human, and B: one who was dying of cancer. According to Edward, Cameron Emerson thought of death so much, it was like he had already resigned to it and simply wanted to prepare his family for the loss of him. And Rosalie understood that, but if he was so set on dying... where would that leave her? And was becoming an immortal vampire a better alternative to death― assuming he would ever want that?

"I just can't believe you didn't bother to tell me!" She hissed at Alice through clenched teeth. "Don't you think the fact that he is terminally ill is something I should have gotten a heads up about?"

"I didn't know he was terminally ill," the pixie-like vampire responded with a sigh. "All I knew was that he looked sick in my vision, and besides― it's not like you were open to talking about it, once I said he was a human."

"She has a point, Rose," Edward pointed out, leaning back in his seat. "Any time she mentioned the subject, you shut it down and left."

"I'm sorry I can't be open to the idea of mating with a human, when it's dangerous to be honest with him about what I am," Rosalie snapped at the bronze-haired male. "You of all people should understand."

Edward shrugged, his gaze drifting toward the table of juniors where a certain Bella Swan sat amongst her friends. He wasn't ready to admit it to his family, but the brown-eyed girl was certainly growing on him. The fact that he couldn't read her mind initially caught his attention, yes; but the more he interacted with her, the more she captivated him. She was incredibly clumsy, but somehow that charmed him; and he enjoyed bantering back and forth with her as well. She was witty, and he liked that.

Still, he knew Rosalie had a point. Mating with a human was dangerous. He couldn't afford to lose control and because of that, he should stay away from Bella― especially because she was his blood singer.

Unfortunately, Edward wasn't sure that staying away from Bella was something he was capable of anymore.

"I never said I didn't understand," he responded with a sigh. "But you know yourself that vampires only mate once, Rosalie. If Bella's it for me, then I at least want to know her― for however long I'm able to."

"Well, at least she isn't a walking time bomb," Rosalie muttered, a subtle kind of sadness reflected in her golden eyes as she looked across the cafeteria. "I mean, honestly... looking at him, it seems Cameron only has months left."

She wasn't wrong. Cameron was skin and bones, and his heart was already struggling to function. He appeared like death itself as he sat next to his sister, who seemed to be the epitome of life. Thea's bright green eyes were a stark contrast to his darker ones, as was her sun-kissed skin in comparison to his own pallor.