Part 5

"Amelia?" Maya said, opening her eyes, looking at the neurosurgeon, "Where's Carina? Where's my wife?"

"You know who I am?" Amelia said as Carina walked back over to the bed.

"Why wouldn't I?" Maya said, groaning a little, "Why does everything hurt?"

"Hi bambina," Carina said, tears running down her cheeks, "Hi."

"Hey," Maya said, smiling as best as she could at her wife, her face sore, "What happened?"

"What's the last thing you remember?" Amelia asked, typing on her tablet. "We were fighting an apartment fire," Maya said, "Did I get hurt in the fire?"

"No," Carina said, "You were driving back to the station and there was an accident. You were injured."

"My team?" Maya asked, pain getting to be pretty intense, but she needed some answers.

"Travis messed up his shoulder," Amelia said, "And Vic has a concussion. Andy is a little beat up too, but you got the brunt of it."

"Hurts," Maya said, not having the energy to ask what was wrong with her, "Hurts so much."

"I've got some meds to help," Amelia said, nodding, "Just relax."

"I'm right here Bambina," Carina said, holding Maya's hand, "I will be right here."

"Are you starting to feel better?" Amelia asked, looking at Maya.

"Yeah," Maya said, "But now I feel tired."

"Sleep Bambina," Carina said, "I will be right here when you wake up."

"I love you, Car," Maya said, the pain meds hitting her in full effect, her words slurring a bit.

"I love you too Bambina," Carina said, smiling through the tears that were still streaming down her face, "Rest now."

Maya fell back to sleep, her hand still clutching tightly to her wife's. Once the blonde was asleep for sure, Carina burst into tears, startling both Amelia and Teddy who were talking quietly in the corner.

"What's wrong?" Amelia asked, rushing over to her friend.

"I just...I don't...I just..." Carina said, feeling her body going into a full blown panic attack.

"Ok," Amelia said, holding Carina close, "It's ok. Maya is ok. She knows who you are."

Carina just struggled to breathe, her entire body shaking.

"Can you pull out the cot?" Amelia asked, knowing it would probably help to get her laying down.

Teddy put the portable bed near Maya's bed, Amelia helping Carina lay down, the Italian's hand glued to her wife's.

"Carina," Amelia said, rubbing her friend's back, "Hey. Can you hear me? I am going to start a breathing exercise. I want you to try to follow, ok?"

Carina just kept struggling to breathe, Amelia going through a few rounds of a breathing technique before looking at Teddy.

"Want me to go get something to calm her down?" the cardio surgeon asked, knowing Carina had been struggling all day.

"Carina?" Amelia said, trying to get any kind of response from her friend, only to continue to get sobs and rapid breathing, "Hey, if you can hear me, blink once."

Amelia got no response, Teddy watching the whole thing.

"I'll be right back," she said, leaving the room.