Part 27

That night was the best one they had had since the accident. They both managed to sleep for 4 consecutive hours unmedicated which felt like some kind of voodoo miracle. Carina was the first one awake, but shockingly it was from a nightmare and not her belly. She woke up gasping for air after dreaming about watching Andrea and Maya both dying in a car accident while she watched.

"Car?" Maya said sleepily as she woke up from Carina moving, "You ok?"

Carina was still struggling to breathe, unable to answer Maya, instead just reaching over and taking Maya's hand.

"Ok," the blonde said, realizing her wife was having a panic attack, "I'm right here. I am going to sit the bed up a little bit and then you can come lay next to me, ok?"

Maya knew Carina almost always felt like she couldn't breathe when she was having a panic attack laying down so she quick adjusted the bed before having Carina lean back.

"Ok," Maya said, putting an arm around her wife, "I am right here."

She could tell now that Carina wasn't have a panic attack which was a relief, but the Italian was very clearly shaken up and crying. Maya just held her as much as she could, Carina slowly calming down.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Maya asked as she heard the crying fade into sniffles and then into silence over the course of the next fifteen minutes.

"It was just a nightmare," Carina said, rubbing her eyes, "A stupid nightmare about you and Andrea being in a car accident together."

"Well, I am right here, nice and safe," Maya said, leaning over and kissing Carina's forehead.

Carina nodded, cuddling closer to Maya, just staying there until her stomach grumbled.

"I hate this," Carina groaned, getting up and going into the bathroom.

Maya was exhausted but worried about her wife, really hoping that she would be able to kick this infection sooner rather than later. Maya thought about laying the bed back down, but she wasn't sure Carina would be ready to go back to sleep when she came back from the bathroom so she left it up for now, adjusting Carina's Andrea blanket as much as she could.

She grabbed her phone as she waited for her wife, seeing that Jack had texted her back, saying he would be by around 9 after shift and asking if they needed anything. She texted him back, telling him 9 was fine and that they were good for now. She knew he was either sleeping or on a call so she wasn't expecting any kind or response.

Just as she finished texting, Carina came out of the bathroom.

"Still feeling sick?" Maya asked as Carina got back into bed, curling up under the blanket.

"Si," Carina nodded, "Though that was the longest stretch I have gone without needing the bathroom so maybe it is getting better."

"Good," Maya said as her wife curled back into her side, "I want you to be better. Are you feeling up to sleeping again?"

"I think so," Carina nodded as Maya grabbed the remote for the bed, lowering it so they were laying down again, Carina curled into Maya's side.

"Are you going to be able to go back to sleep?" Carina asked as she felt her own eyes getting heavy.

"I don't know," Maya said honestly, "But I will try. It's only 1 am so I'm sure I will go back to sleep at some point."

"Ok," Carina said, "Don't forget, you can ask for meds if your anxiety is acting up."

"I know," Maya said, kissing Carina's forehead which was feeling nice and cool again, "I'm not anxious right now. I am ok."

"Ok," the Italian yawned, "Well, I am going to go to sleep."