Mother

Lady Dimitrescu slowly approaches Donna and me, a look of shock and distress painted on her face. Donna squeezes me closer to her, trying to reassure and calm me, as I whimper and growl in screaming pain. "Oh my god...", Lady Dimitrescu says softly, "..Are those-?"
"Yes...yes they are...can you help us?", Donna pleads gently. Lady Dimitrescu looks at Donna as if just realizing her presence and looking into her eyes, I detect a hint of anger. "What are you doing here??", she asks Donna demandingly and she quickly steps up to us. Donna scaredly clutches me tighter, trying not to injure me further, as if she's trying to protect us both from Lady Dimitrescu. Sensing the tension, Cassandra quickly answers, "Valyrie requested Donna to be here to help her". Lady acknowledges Cassandra's explanation, but the anger remains with a look of confusion. "What, why would she do that?", Lady Dimitrescu asks. Though feeling puny and still wracked with pain, I answer through tears, "Because she-"! Donna stops me before I can finish and says, "Please just let me help her, she's hurt badly and losing a lot of blood".  Lady Dimitrescu's eyes dart back to me, she steps back in surprise, and stares in horrified awe. She seems confused by Donna rather than angry now, but dismisses it quickly to fully direct herself on my current issue. She walks around us as Donna continues to try to get me to relax so that I can heal. I hear her footsteps move slowly around me then I feel her gloved hand against the strange protrusion sticking out of my back. It's tender to her touch and I wince, trying hard not to yelp. "It's alright Val...it's ok, just breathe", Donna whispers. I appreciate Donna's efforts, but there is absolutely NO WAY in hell I'm going to relax enough to even begin healing. "We should bring her to Mother Miranda", Lady Dimitrescu suggests. Donna freezes in terror upon hearing that. Mother Miranda? She must be the mysterious, all-powerful 'Mother' that Donna and Angie told me about before. Maybe she could use her powers to help me and get rid of these things growing out of my back. "No, no we don't need to do that", Donna protests in a frightened tone. For once, I actually disagree with Donna. Judging from my condition, I'm thinking I should be taken to Mother Miranda. If she's as powerful as I think she is, (and I'm thinking she's quite powerful) she would for sure be able to fix me back to seemingly normal as I was. Lady Dimitrescu of course asks Donna why as I silently think it. "I just...don't....I'm not sure if...", Donna stammers and stutters over her words, a sign of her becoming anxious and shutting down. She's afraid of Lady Dimitrescu, either that or she doesn't trust her..I thought they were sisters...My head spinning from blood loss and agony, I gasp, "I think m'lady Dimitrescu is right...I need to see Mother-" Donna stops me quickly and hisses quietly in my ear, "Don't....please...you can't".
"Why....she could help me!", I growl back trying my best not to lose my temper. Donna stops suddenly and seems as if she has so much to say, but she's afraid to say it and Angie remains lifeless beside us. I barely even noticed her when Donna came in since I'm so used to her active state. What is it that she knows about Mother Miranda that I don't? After a long moment of silence, Lady Dimitrescu finally says, "Oh, enough of this!", as she picks up somewhat carefully, ripping me away from Donna's grip, and places me over her shoulder. I cry out sharply feeling my wounds throb angrily and stabbing pains shoot up through my body. "What are you doing!?!", Donna asks as Lady Dimitrescu starts for the front door. I watch as Donna grabs Angie and stands up to quickly follow behind her. "What does it look like, I'm taking her to Mother Miranda". Yes, finally. "No, NO Alcina you can't!", Donna begs sounding very afraid. Lady Dimitrescu looks back and glares down towards Donna with fire in her eyes. "And WHY NOT?!?", she demands once again. Donna stops and takes several steps back, cowering under Lady Dimtrescu's glare. "I...I just don't think there's anything she can do for her", Donna explains pitifully. I can't see Donna's face through her veil, but by the tone in her voice, I can tell that she's lying. I'm not quite sure if Lady Dimitrescu knows that she's lying as well, but I hope for Donna's sake she doesn't. "Nonsense, I'm sure Mother Miranda will be able to help her in...some way", Lady Dimitrescu assures as she turns and continues out of the castle. Donna continues to follow close behind seeming very frightened and defeated. I have a gut feeling I should be as worried as Donna is if not more so, but I'm desperate and in need of dire aid, the pain is clouding my judgement and my emotions, and the fear of being horribly disfigured by whatever I've started to mutate into is far greater than being concerned for Donna's feelings. And to think, just when I thought I was kind of normal and things started to feel steady....now here I am, a freak struggling to hold their own head up and afraid to move at the risk of damaging myself further. On the way to Mother Miranda, Donna pssts at me to get what little attention I have left. I tiredly look down towards her and she loudly whispers, "Don't tell her anything about me and you...you don't know me...please just don't tell her!", she begs. She sounds so worried...I really wish I could help ease her. I wimply answer her with, "I won't...I won't..GA-AGH"!! I feel something push against the tender, bloody protrusion from my back and it feels like I've been violently stabbed. Light dims then becomes brighter suddenly as Alcina carries me into a different area. Growling in pain, I force myself to look up and around at my surroundings. There is little to no ceiling above us and the walls look to be made of large stones stacked on top of each other. What is this place?  "It seems you've caught me at a good time Alcina", a commanding feminine voice calls out. Donna jumps hearing the voice and bows carefully while Lady Dimitrescu bows slightly still holding me. "Mother Miranda, I require some of your assistance with Valyrie", Lady Dimitrescu explains as she walks towards the voice, leaving Donna behind, gently takes me off of her shoulder and places me down. I crumple instantly to my knees from the throbbing, agonizing weight on my back and stare at the stone floor, staining it with pleading tears. There are burning candles in a small semi-circle around me and I hear footsteps move closer. As the footsteps stop, I slowly look up towards who I presume to be Mother Miranda. She's dressed in a black robe with an ornate, golden regalia emblazzed with different symbols and crests, a decorative collar complete with pendant, a golden bird like masquerade mask, and what appears to be something of a large golden halo above her head with an eye at the top of it. Her presence alone commands attention steals the air from the room. I swear I've seen her before in a picture or painting. Maybe from one of Jackson's books? Her eyes burn the same yellow as mine behind her mask and she looks down at me in confusion and disgust. "Who is this?", she asks, "What is this you've brought me"?
"You...you don't recognize her?", Alcina asks sounding slightly worried. Oh no...that's why Donna's so worried...Mother Miranda bestows the 'gift', not anyone else.. Mother Miranda takes off her mask angrily, reaches down and grabs my face with a golden clawed hand. She looks into my eyes and turns my face roughly side to side, searching for a sign of recognition. "No, I don't, I didn't do this!", she snarls, "Where did you come from"?? All I can think about is Donna and being rescued as she stares intensely into my eyes as if searching my mind. Stop thinking, just answer....don't let her know a thing. "I-I-I don't know...I don't remember!", I sputter, trying my best to convince her. She grips my face tighter and hisses, "DON'T LIE TO ME"! I swallow back a yelp and simply squeal, "I'M NOT, I REALLY DON'T KNOW!", She growls and demands, "WHAT DO YOU LAST REMEMBER"!?! Quick, make something up, NOW! "I-I, I woke up in a field!", I shout desperately. She pulls my face again and snarls, "Were you IN the village"?
"YES!", I cry. Her face relaxes somewhat as she searches my face for a hint of lying, then she hmphs and tosses me down roughly jarring my body back into a throbbing mass of agony. "You're harmless...and obviously a failure, but I'm not surprised", she sneers with disgust. Her harsh words pierce my heart like knives. I'm a failure...why..why am I a failure, what did I do wrong? "So..what did you bring this...thing to me for other than to bleed all over everything?", Mother Miranda asks Lady Dimitrescu coldly. "Please Mother Miranda...I need your help, I'm-", I start to plead. Mother Miranda flashes me an furious look and growls, "I DIDN'T ask YOU". I hear Lady Dimitrescu's footsteps approach me and I yelp again feeling something touch the large painful protrusion from my back. Mother Miranda looks up above me, reaches and touches it as well. "What is it, what are they!?!", I ask frantically, biting back screams of pain as she jostles and grabs them. "They're wings, very bloody...matted...wings", Mother Miranda says. Wings...I have wings growing out of my back...I'm a freak.. Trying hard not to sound panicked, I beg, "Can you get rid of them"? I growl, trying not to swear or cry as she pulls and tugs on them. "Why would I do that?", she chuckles almost mockingly. Feeling puny and deeply upset by her coldness, I look up at her and beg, "Please...they tore up my back, I can't stop bleeding and they hurt so very badly...can-"
"And they will for quite some time, especially if they stay matted as badly as this", she explains pulling on my wing and showing me a solid bloodly chunk in her blood-soaked claws. Oh god...I wish she would just take the pain away, that's all I want! Take these wings and pain away from me! "Can you please just help me!?!", I growl as she starts to walk away. She looks back at me and with ice in her tone says, "There's nothing I can do for you, I should not be expected to clean up a mess I did not create". I could just die. What a cold. Heartless. BITCH! I don't think I've ever hated another person as much as I hate Mother Miranda right now. I nearly explode as I yell, "PLEASE JUST MAKE THEM GO AWAY, I'LL DO ANYTHING"!!! Without a word, ten black wings shoot out and extend from behind Mother Miranda's cloak, making her regalia and cloak swoop elegantly from their appearance. "DO YOU HAVE SUCH A PROBLEM WITH WINGS!?!", she shouts back at me shutting me up. I stare at her in horror and a moment of pure silence passes over us before I wimply answer, "No...no ma'am". She angrily approaches me once more, wings extended, and says, "Those wings are a part of you now, a sign of your power, and a gift....you should be grateful for such a thing". I scowl at her as she turns away again and angrily hiss, "Your 'gift' sucks"! She quickly spins around and rushes towards me as Lady Dimitrescu wraps her arms around me protectingly, putting one of her gloved hands over my mouth. "She didn't mean it Mother, she's just very stressed is all", Lady Dimitrescu assures. Mother Miranda slowly steps back, staring at me with deadly fury, and asks, "Is she one of your maidens"?
"Yes mother, she is", Lady Dimitrescu answers. Mother Miranda nods and orders, "Good, she's your problem..give her a bath, wash and clean her wings thoroughly until each feather feels soft, and have her move them, extending and folding so that she gets used to the muscles and the pain will gradually ease. As for the wounds and bleeding, she just needs to relax which I'm sure Donna will help you with...won't you?". Donna startles realizing Mother Miranda has acknowledged her somewhat hidden presence and quitely answers, "Of course Mother". Lady Dimitrescu carefully picks me back up off the floor and puts me back over her shoulder as I cry silently. Mother Miranda turns and walks away from us and demands, "Now it's settled then, take her away".
"Yes Mother Miranda", Lady Dimitrescu and Donna both obey and slightly bow again in synchrony. Lady Dimitrescu turns and exits the strange place with me watching Donna follow closely. My eyes are clouded with bitter, angry tears and Donna, trying to keep up with Lady Dimitrescu's wider steps, reaches up with one hand to gently wipe my face. "It's ok Val, you're going to be ok", she assures. I wish I could believe her, but the throbbing aches and horrified stares I recieve by others from my 'gift' tell me otherwise. A freak...a winged freak...a failure..I'm a freak and a failure. "By the way..", Donna starts. I try hard to listen to her as my mind wanders into dark parts of my brain. She gets close and whispers, "You're not a failure...you're my friend and you're wonderful". I cry harder feeling my heart swell with her kindness and she makes sure I instead dwell on her words instead if Mother Miranda's as we make our way back to the castle.