Chapter 8

11.24.2021

I woke up to the train pulling up to the station. In the end, I had just slipped into a quiet room with the least amount of people possible. I groaned as I got off the train stretching and looking for where I needed to go.

"Perseus Jackson!" a voice called drawing my attention to an older woman, the students were swarming around. I shouldered my bag and crossed over to her.

"It's Percy!" I called and she peered at me a moment before huffing and extending her hand,

"Minerva McGonagall, please call me Minerva," she introduced and I smiled at her,

"Call me Percy," I said, looking around, "Sooo where are we going?" I asked and she laughed,

"We, Percy, are going to take the shortcut," she said leading me away from the crowd to a patch of trees where she disappeared through. I snorted. They do love their secret passageways. I stepped through it, my eyes widening as I took in the grand hall. Candles floating in midair, the sky flickering in the ceiling, and the five well placed long tables,

"Percy!" Dumbledore called, "It's good to see you, I trust your lodging was to your standard?" I nodded,

"Yeah, it was fine, I-,"

"Percy Jackson, did you get the lesson plans I sent you?" Umbridge asked cutting in, shaking my hand, I paused

"Um I-," I stuttered but she didn't seem to mind,

"No matter, you'll see it in action the first day," she said and I frowned but nodded. Letting her lead me to a seat,

"So, you are the new teacher," A voice drawled catching my attention, as my eyes widened. A grin spreading across my face,

"Severus Snape, good to see ya man," I said shaking his hand. He smirked at me nodding,

"You to Percy, it's been too long," He narrowed his eyes at Dolores, "I trust you didn't have any trouble getting here?" he asked. Snape was one of the older generations I had met at New Rome, I think he was the great-great-grandson of Venus, but I wasn't sure.

"I had a little, you know me," I grinned, "But I got it taken care of," his eyes narrowed as he brushed some dust from my hair,

"I see that," he drawled and I winked at him, causing him to roll his eyes. He introduced me to some of the other teachers before the students started to trickle in and we all sat, Dolores, trying desperately to get Dumbledore's attention about something.

I watched as Minerva bring a hat and a stool, and as the hat started singing. The hat reminded me of the old oracle before Rachel came along. Soon the sorting ceremony began and I zoned out.

I smiled at the food in front of me, digging in, and subtly putting some in the fire for Hecate, and some for my father. It wasn't as good as blue cookies, but it was defiantly good. I smiled as I talked to some of the teachers around me, their tales of students were always exciting.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices," Dumbledore said cutting through conversations. I turned to him, this might be important to know so spinning my pen I tried to pay attention,

"First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students – and a few of our older students ought to know by now too," Where was the fun in that?

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door."

"We have had three changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, and Professor Jackson, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers"

"Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the-," It was then that Dolores decided to have a coughing fit until Dumbledore finally let her one stand, everyone was shocked and silent.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome." She paused, coughing some more. Did she need a mask or something?

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say! And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!" I grimaced at the sickly sweet practically oozing from her.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends! The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance-,"

If I'm being honest that's where I zone out, I'm not much for speeches, and if I'm being honest the only reason, I was listening to Dumbledore was because I figured I should pay attention to some of the rules.

"Professor Jackson?" Dumbledore asked snapping my attention

"Huh?"

And this one is out on time 😅 

Welp, I hope you enjoyed it. 

Don't forget that if you want the updating schedule a particular way comment by my next update (the last update of the month) 

Don't forget to vote, comment, add to your reading list, and/or follow 

Thank y'all so much for reading! 🦇