Chapter 53

A few days later, Clara had her first day back at the Llewelyn manor.

She didn't need to, technically. Benjamin had promised her that all of her family's expenses would be taken care of for the foreseeable future. But Clara was going crazy stuck in her quarter with her entire family, all day and all night. And there was a sense of comfort that went along with her familiar routine of getting to work.

She took the transport with Amyeliana, greeted Andani at the transport dock, stored her protective clothing, and headed up the staircase toward Araminta's chambers. It almost felt like nothing had changed.

Araminta, however, was proof that things had changed. When Clara pushed open her chamber door, she was already up and jumped at Clara's appearance. But once it registered who was coming in, Araminta grinned.

"I didn't know you were coming back." She turned back toward her mirror and continued brushing out her hair, but she sounded genuinely pleased.

"I don't do well with too much time to do nothing," Clara said. "So I figure I should come up here and see if you needed anything."

"Well, I have a giant pile of clean laundry that needs to be taken care." Araminta pointed to a basket piled high with skirts and corsets.

"I think I can handle that." Clara went over and pulled the top clothing item off of the pile. "And you can tell me what's been going on around here."

"Whatever do you mean?"

Clara gave her a knowing look. "Well, let's start with your almost marriage, how your parents are handling everything, and Lucretia."

"Oh, just start with that?" Araminta replied drily.

"You can't tell me that you haven't been dying to tell someone about whatever has been going on around here."

Araminta narrowed her eyes. "I don't like how you assume to know what I feel."

Clara raised an eyebrow.

"But you're right." Araminta sat down at her table and picked at a piece of cheese on her breakfast platter. "Honestly, things have been hectic around here. They've only started to calm down in the past day or two."

Clara waited as Araminta collected her thoughts and shook her head. "I don't think I've ever seen either of my parents so stunned," Araminta began. "They just sat in stunned silence the entire transport home and it continued for two entire days after the wedding was supposed to happen. The article that Benjamin got in the newsletter, I think that's what got them out of it. I think part of them thought that this was all going to be some big misunderstanding."

"No, not so much," Clara said. "Have you heard about what's happening to all the Tower and Bridge factories? And their former employees?"

Araminta nodded. "It was all everyone could talk about a few days ago."

All the factories were coming down. Every single one. They weren't even being repurposed. And all the former prisoners were being given funds to cover their living expenses for the next six months.

"Apparently, Benjamin and Gerard have a lot of power," Clara commented.

Araminta nodded. "My parents were talking about that," she said. "Gerard does have that kind of power, and apparently he's known for vehemently hating slavery."

"I wish more people would share that sentiment."

Araminta nodded in agreement. "Anyway, eventually my parents talked to me about what happened, although there wasn't much that I could tell them that they didn't already know. I think they just needed to hear it again from me. And, of course, you came up."
"Good or bad?"