| chapter eight |

ALBERT sat reclined in the chair, his arm leaning on the side and his right hand rested under his chin. his piercing eyes staring directly at the girl in silence. y/n knew that the man was most likely running an analytical scanner in his head, weighing out the pros and cons, observing if she was a viable and useful person. after all, william wasn't the only smart one within the family.

"do you have a place to stay?" he questioned, uncrossing his legs and clasped both hands together in front of him. his face held on a small polite smile.

surprise ran through y/n, however on the exterior she kept a poker face. she was assuming this will lead to her being accepted into their...organisation and she was glad that she would have a place to stay for the time being. "ah...unfortunately, my step-mother kicked me out yesterday and i've been roaming the streets ever since," she lied.

he nodded, getting up from the couch and walking towards his desk. he sat down on his chair and y/n followed him, standing in front of the wooden table patiently waiting for his reply. he rested his elbows on the table and leaned his head on his hands. "my brother's and i, we run a crime organisation," he paused, observing y/n's movements. "around london, it's been dubbed 'the lord of crime' meaning singular, however there are multiple persons."

y/n nodded slowly, acting as if she didn't know this already, "yes, suppose i have heard of that name before, and do i assume you would like me to join?" she stopped speaking and started to slowly walk around the room, feeling his eyes in her back. "it's a crime organisation, you know i could very much well tell the authorities and yet you tell me; you are one of the masterminds behind the recent number of crimes in london. do you trust me count albert?"

y/n stopped walking as she reached a bookshelf, turning to face the man who in return replied, "trust? oh no miss y/n, i just know the authorities will never accuse a nobleman of murder, you could tell them and they would ignore you. that is how the world works, money has power over everyone.

"but yes, this is a way to ask you to join our organisation. in return, you get lodging and food as well as clothes or anything really. if you decline, i may let you leave,"

y/n already knew that albert was aware of what she would choose, she glanced at him and walked back towards the desk until she stood directly in front of him with only a table in-between, her pink dress swayed as she walked, the sun reflecting her eyes. she reached out a hand with her arm outstretched in front of him.

"i accept your offer, count moriarty,"

he tilted his head at the hand held in front of him, slipping off the white glove on his right hand and clasping it around hers. she gasped at the warmth that spread through her fingers and palm, mildly expecting cold hands and instead having a soft and thin delicate hand wrap around.

albert stood from the table, and let go. he walked around the table towards the door. "if that is so, i would like you to meet the rest of our members," he opened the door and gestured for her to go through. "ladies first,"

y/n murmured a thanks as she walked past him, she followed him down the hallway behind him; the large window panes on her right allowing for the view of the garden just outside.

she kept her eyes on the flowers that grew in large colonies of all sorts: roses, chrysanthemums, tulips, camellias -all in flourishingly bright and splendid colours. the bushes were a rich yet soft forest green gleaming like diamonds from the last raindrops that signified the rain that fell yesterday and she noticed a crouched body hunched over and tending to one of the yellow roses.

albert side-glanced y/n, noticing how distracted she seemed by the arrangement of flowers outside. "our garden is taken care of by fred porlock, one of our affiliates. apologies if he seems to not talk much when you first meet him, he's a bit shy." 

y/n hummed in understanding, her hands behind her back as she walked in a brisk manner towards the end of the corridor, the girl having trouble keeping up with a man walking at a normal pace but with long legs. the pair falling into a silence that which y/n couldn't tell if it was awkward or comfortable, she looked around, familiarising herself with the interior because she was going to be here for a long time.

She glanced at the blue decorative wallpaper, a very vintage-style design and reminded her of her grandmother's living room, she noticed the exquisitely painted landscapes that hung on the walls in fascinating golden frames, the blood-red roll-out carpet that sitting above the polished oak floor.

y/n automobile paused when her peripheral vision caught sight of albert stopping, almost carelessly bumping into him and quickly taking two steps back before he turned around. he clutched the door-knob of a white door, facing y/n, his eyes seemingly like crystals in the shadows etched on his face.

"before i open this door, i would like to say: you may not be ever be able to go back to a time where you were never affiliated with the lord of crime, are you certain of your choice?"

y/n opened her mouth to speak and paused before answering, "yes i am count albert,"

the twist of the door knob echoed, the door opening to reveal a large drawing room, the two pristine blue couches facing each other with a small wooden coffee table in between. all eyes were drawn to the opening of the door like a moth to a flame, expecting albert to come in on his own and surprised when a young woman appeared behind him.

louis smiled warmly at y/n but glanced at william in befuddlement, the latter sitting on the couch slowly sipping his tea. his eyes travelled to the girl with a knowing look in his eyes as he nodded in acknowledgment. albert stepped aside and closed the door, y/n stepping forward feeling slightly self-conscious of all the pair of eyes analysing her, calculating her next move.

"everyone, i would like to introduce our newest member, miss y/n. she will be helping us with our missions from now one, please be kind and act as mentors to her."

she quickly scanned the room, recognising the various people within the vicinity. sebastian moran, fred porlock, james bond and of course the three moriarty brothers. the girl was unsure of what to do. did she have to curtsy? she wasn't in front of royals or anything and she doubted the noblemen in the room cared. waving seemed to informal -especially for this time period- so she settled on inclining her head a little and smiling.

"good morning gentlemen! my name is y/n and it's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance,"

good evening! well for me rn anyway.
sorry haven't updated in a while i'm in
the midst of exams😃😃🔫
i'll try to update sooner
k bye🕴