Chapter 11 - The Ghost of You

*One week later*

*Mary Jenkins's POV*

Ever since that day, I could never forgive nor forget what he has done. I did what I had to but the ironic thing of all is that I am still hurting from having to forcefully remove Nick from my life because never have I ever prepared myself for this day to come. Never have I ever wanted this story to end between us.

But how do I bring myself to accept a man who had decided to give me up for a greater good? Maybe I just could not understand where he was coming from... maybe I never will. Maybe I am just not that noble when it comes to love. Maybe I was wrong too...

It's been days since Nick has been dousing himself with alcohol. He was never sober for the past few days, always stumbling his way back home in his messed up attire while slurring away late in the night. I could hear Aunt Rosa screwing him up in Italian while Uncle Ted had to forcefully shake him up several times when he tried to climb up the walls to my house.

It hurts me, even more, to see him in this state. Every night, I prayed for this pain to go away, for him to forget me.

I suffered sleepless nights and then one night, a sound rustled through from my house's garage. I hurried down with a bat, ready to wack the shit out the burglar who had probably break into my house.

I held my breath and turned around the corner as I swung my bat onto the back of the tall dark figure in my garage.

"Ouch...!" The man winced in pain and crash onto the floor.

Shit! That voice sure sounds familiar.

I switched on the lights to the garage and realise it was Nick who was on the floor.

"Oh my gosh! Are you alright?!" I panicked as I picked him up and had him sat up against the wall.

His skin was flushed red and he was dead drunk with a heavy reek of alcohol all over him.

I held his head up and tried to shake him up, "Nick, can you hear me?"

He opened his heavy lids with much struggle and slurred in response to me, "Mary...?

Then he began apologising profusely to me in his slurred speech, "I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

"You're drunk, you need to get home now," I said to him as I tried to get him up but it was to no avail as he was just too heavy for me.

I ended falling onto him instead and he grabbed onto me and held me tightly in his embrace.

"Nick! Let go of me now!" I struggled to loosen myself from his grip.

"Please... Mary... don't leave me," His voice quivered and then he finally released me from his grip when he covered his face of distraught that was clawed with an agony of tears.

My heart wrenched in pain upon the sight of this.

I don't want to hurt him either... I don't want to see him in pain... because I know... despite it all, I still love him so much and fighting my feelings for him is what that is killing me.

"Please... Nick, just stop... I can't do this anymore..." I broke down in tears too as I ran my hands through my hair in frustration.

His snivelling sound soon falls silent.

"Nick?" I called out to him.

There he was silently asleep. I couldn't help but examine the face I once love and still love so much as I traced my hand against his weary face that was littered with unshaven stubbles.