Chapter Two.

I sighed heavily, "What are you doing here?"

 My mother smiled, "Well, I'm expecting to be invited in."

 I shook my head, "What do you want, mother?" 

She clicked her tongue, "I need money."

 I pressed my lips together, "For your drugs. Am I correct?" 

My mom let out a shaky breath, "You're right."

 I shook my head with my eyes watering, "You don't even want to see her, do you?"

 My mom sucked her teeth, "Please don't make this anymore difficult than it has to be."

 I scoffed, "Mom, if you take this money and walk out of my house without seeing your daughter, then our relationship is done. You won't be able to ask me for anything ever again."

 Her eyes were watering too, "You've done it to me so many times, Gravity." 

I rolled my eyes as tears came rushing down my face, "How many times have you walked out of my- do you remember walking out my life? Do you remember moving out with some man? Do you remember that?! Do you remember having sex with someone other than your husband and getting pregnant? And leaving your kids! Do you remember that?!"

 Just then, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. 

My little sister, Octavia stood behind me, "Grav, what-" She cut herself off when she saw her mother.

 I sighed heavily, letting out more tears but I wouldn't dare to let Octavia see, "O, go back upstairs." 

My mother gasped, "Octavia. Oh my God, you've grown." 

Octavia nodded with a straight face, "Since the last time you saw me? Almost three years."

 My mom narrowed her eyes, "Octavia, I love you. I would never leave you on purpose-"

 Octavia cut our mother off, "Of course you would. And you do. You just disappear. When I gave you a peice of my liver, you said we would try, right? You said we could get to know each other. You didn't try. You didn't fight. And when Clover died-"

 Our mother cut Octavia off back, "I know, I know." 

Octavia widened her eyes, "No, you don't know. Because you weren't here. I lost my sister. I lost my father. And you were nowhere to be found." 

My mom shook her head, "That's not- Octavia, I was there after Clover died." 

I sighed, "Don't do this to her." 

Octavia scoffed, "Now, why would you say something like that?" 

Our mother narrowed her eyes, "Because it's the truth, O."

 I swallowed a lump in my throat, "Mom, you need to leave now." 

My mom shook her head, "I'm not going to allow her to believe that I'm a horrible person."

 Octavia sucked her teeth, "What's she talking about, Gravity?"

 My mother took a deep breath, "When Gravity told me that Clover died, I bought a ticket. I flew all day, all night. I got to the funeral just- just in time. I stood a few rows back next to some of your friends... from school." 

Octavia shook her head, "I would remember if you were at her funeral." 

Our mom clicked her tongue, "I was there, Octavia. But you were barely there, you were a ghost. You looked like me when I lost your father." 

Octavia crossed her arms, "Are you saying you came to the funeral and didn't speak to me?" 

Our mother looked down, "I felt like it would've been for me. Not- not for you."