Prologue

Quiet was the Sanctuary at the edge of the universe. Ships idled listlessly among the asteroids. His forces had dwindled, but not as much as Thanos initially anticipated.

Still, he had lost his four best commanders and warriors. Loyal followers were easy to come by, but ones that were competent in the ways of leadership and war were not.  Alas, he would have to make do with their seconds for now.

Events had come full circle. He had started his journey towards his destiny here and now it seems it would end here. He looked out into the vastness of the asteroid field and his Chitauri and Outrider forces. He had come close, so close to achieving his goal. To make sure that the universe would continue to spin on without the pain and suffering he had experienced firsthand. He had underestimated his opponents, allowed his obsession with completing his mission to blind him. It had cost him everything.

He sighed sadly, the weight of his losses crashing over him despite his detached demeanor. A grimace pulled at the corners of his neutral expression. Ebony, Corvis, Proxima, Cull, Nebula, and Gamora.

Gamora. His favorite daughter. The only one of his children he truly loved unconditionally.

Throwing her off that cliff had been one of the most difficult and painful things he had ever done. Second to only, not fighting harder to save his home planet from destruction. A lone tear escaped the corner of his eye and slid down his cheek disappearing into his armor.

"My lord?" the voice of one of his new lieutenants called out from behind him, trying in vain to disguise their terror.

Thanos sighed. "My orders were that I was not to be disturbed," he said icily, not bothering to acknowledge the lifeform behind him.

"Yes, sir," the lieutenant replied. "But— But, we have news from the few survivors that managed to escape Terra."

"I already know of the defeat. What more news could there be?" Thanos said briskly, rubbing his brow in exasperation.

"One of the ship pilot's has news regarding the Infinity Stones."

Thanos turned slightly toward the lieutenant, finally acknowledging his presence. His gaze narrowed in on the trembling officer in front of him. "Proceed."

The lieutenant swallowed hard, hesitant to deliver the news. "...It appears that four of them have been destroyed."

"Destroyed?" Thanos balked inwardly, struggling to maintain his mask of indifference.

"Yes, sir," the lieutenant affirmed, his voice cracking despite his best attempts to appear unaffected by the Titan's presence. "By one of the members of the Avengers."

"Do we know which ones were destroyed?" The anger in his voice barely restrained

"No, sir," the lieutenant said meekly, casting his gaze downward as he backed away.

"But the other two still remain on Terra?"

"As far as the survivors know, yes."

Thanos contemplated the information given to him. Fury built in the Titan's veins, blood reaching a boiling point. His destiny once again slipped further from his grasp. The universe was vast and lifespans all too short. Accomplishing his mission in a timely manner with enough time to enjoy the aftermath would be impossible without them. And with the loss of all his children there would be no one to take up the cause.

He turned away from the lieutenant, clearly dismissing him. A sigh of relief escaped the being's lips as he scurried down the stairs on swift footsteps.

Thanos once again looked out over the asteroid field. A plan forming in his mind. One of revenge. One of retaliation.

But he needed to wait, bide his time.

Let the Avengers think they have won for now. Let them fall into a state of peaceful normalcy. When their guard was well and truly down. That is when he would strike.

In all his years of conquest...of violence and slaughter...it was never personal. But with what he intended for their stubborn, annoying little planet, he was going to enjoy it...very, very much.

~*~*~*~

Author's Notes

So yeah I know, I said I would finish my one shot mini-series first but when the inspo strikes, you don't squander it

Welcome to infinity. The final installment of my epiphany series. It's gonna be wild so buckle up, buttercups.

As always, comment, vote, and share with your friends if you feel inclined to do so.

Thanks for reading!

Ginger