Chapter Three

"Let me set the scene

Two lovers ripped right at the seams

They woke up from the perfect dream

And then the darkness came..."

~*~*~*~

Avengers Tower. New York City. November 2018.

Cascades of energy pounded against the walls and ceiling, sending dust raining down. The glass of the windows cracked then shattered all at once. You quickly conjured mandala shields with both hands, protecting Bucky, T'Challa and Shuri. Crimson energy pounded against your barrier as small whooshes of air buffeted you. The number of people around you began to multiply by the millisecond as Pietro deposited the rest of your teammates behind the barrier away from Wanda.

Through the orange glow of your shields, you watched as the leather sofas begin to disintegrate along with the rug, the coffee table, and various house plants – the pieces of each floating midair for a moment before disappearing completely. The strings of the Steinway and Sons began to pop one by one as the piano rattled violently from the onslaught of energy.

"We need to do something!" Natasha shouted over the din of the shredding furniture.

"What can we do?!" Tony replied, as he activated his Iron Man suit. You caught the flash of fear in his eyes before the nanites encased his head in a helmet. "Friday! Evacuate the Tower! Get everyone out now!"

"Working on it!" the A.I. replied. Somewhere down below, alarms began to sound.

"You need to get everyone out of here," Bruce said, his voice strained –deeper. You tore your gaze away from Wanda to glance at the doctor. His hands tightened into fists, knuckles white. Beads of sweat dotted his brow. Then a greenish hue crawled up his neck, veins bulging as his body shook, trying to maintain control. A lance of pure fear shot down your spine. The absolute last thing you needed was for Bruce's "Other Guy" to make an appearance.

You locked eyes with Bucky, who swallowed hard. Neither of you had ever seen the Hulk in person, but you both had seen the footage – the absolute devastation he could wreak should Bruce's/his life be in danger. And right now, the Hulk desperately sought to eliminate the threat. Bucky looked to Steve whose face reflected your own worry.

A golden glow hovered at the corner of your eye. You whipped around to Carol whose gaze had locked on Wanda. Wanda who continued to weep, each wail of anguish a knife to your heart. "I can take her out," the newcomer said.

"The fuck you will," Bucky challenged, putting his body in between the Kree hybrid and Wanda.

"She could bring down this entire building!" Carol spat.

"Try and touch her," Pietro goaded darkly.

"Then what do you propose we do?" Carol said exasperatedly.

"Kill her and I will make sure it will be the last thing you'll ever do," you growled. You engaged your suit as the eldritch energy wound its way up your arms, ready to strike and maintain your shield should you need to. "Ally or not."

"It's her or all of us!"

"Enough!" Steve shouted, drawing the attention of everyone in the group. "Carol, Tony, fly T'Challa, Shuri, Fury, and Bruce outta here."