Chapter One

"Had no time to choose

What I chose to do

So go easy on me

I had good intentions

And the highest hopes

But I know right now

That probably doesn't even show"

~*~*~*~

Foggy Bottom. Washington, D.C. October 2018.

The breeze coming off the Chesapeake Bay blew orange and brown leaves across your boots as you walked the familiar path to Ben and Rey's townhouse. You shoved your hands deeper into your jacket pockets, trying to shield your body as much as possible from the bite of the damp chilly wind.

Some light digging by Natasha and a phone call to Director Coulson revealed that Ben still lived in the home he and Rey once shared. He hadn't moved from the area like you had expected him to. You would have. You didn't know if you could ever step foot, much less live, in the place you and Bucky had made a home if you ever lost him.

"Always liked this neighborhood," Tony mused as he walked beside you, tapping the side of his gray-tinted lenses, letting F.R.I.D.A.Y. scan your surroundings.

You nodded in agreement. You, Ben, and Rey had loved living in the neighborhood with all the college kids. It teemed with life. You could walk to the trendy coffee shops, sushi restaurants, and cheap bars. There was always something going on – an art show, a beer tasting, or live music. Plus, it was close to public transit and the interstate, making it easy for you and Rey to get to the Triskelion every day.

Initially, you had wanted to make this trip alone, but since a final decision had not been made regarding your presidential pardon and The Accords were technically still in effect, walking around unsupervised wasn't really an option.

Along with Tony serving as your babysitter, the United Nations Panel presiding over maintaining the Sokovia Accords mandated you and your team wear tracker bracelets whenever you went out in public. Something that sent Steve over the edge with fury when you first arrived at the Tower. Short of making Tony sign over his first born, Steve made Tony promise that he would personally see to it that they would not be tracked or watched in any way as soon as the pardons were approved and signed.

Tony readily acquiesced to his request, remembering all too well a time when the government tried to get their hands on his Iron Man armor. He also was not eager to disrupt the peace that had settled over the once fractured Avengers.

Bucky would have accompanied you as well, but he was in meetings your lawyer Matt Murdock all day. Out of all your team's pardons, your husband's was certainly going to be the most complicated, given his sordid history. All the evidence you had gathered over the years had to be meticulously combed through. They needed to be ready to answer any and all questions the panel may ask.

Now that your life had reached some level of normalcy and you weren't constantly looking over your shoulder, you decided it was time to reach out to Ben. You had not seen him since the day before the HYDRA Uprising when you all had your weekly dinner together. It was a tradition you had upheld until that fateful day. You had left the country with HYDRA hot on your tail by the time a funeral was arranged for Rey. It killed you not being able to be there to say goodbye. To not be there for Ben who had been there for you in your darkest moments.