Chapter 33

'Shit,' Neo cursed as Charlie's phone continued to go to answer machine.

'She probably has no signal down in the tunnel. I'm sure everything is fine.' Gwilt tried to soothe him whilst they made their way back to Marton.

'Why the hell would she go down there alone, knowing that Jane Bennett could be dangerous?'

'In her defence, she knows Jane suffers from schizophrenia, but not that she's killed before,' Gwilt pointed out.

'It was still a stupid thing to do alone either way,' ranted Neo.

Gwilt remained quiet, not wanting to add to Neo's anger. He thought Charlie's actions were stupid, same as Neo, but he knew she had little choice. Unable to get hold of Neo, and her poor relationship with the local police, was what lead her down that tunnel. The only problem was she was unaware of what she was truly facing.

'Did you get through to the station? Are they sending a team?' Neo asked as he continued trying to call Charlie, to no avail.

'I did. But they're still trying to gather everyone, and you're going to love this; no one can seem to get a hold of Palmer.'

'Where the hell is she?' Neo gritted out.

Gwilt shrugged as he made the turnoff to Marton.

'Apparently, her house is empty and her car is gone. Could have gone for a night away with her husband, perhaps? Either way, she's not answering, and no one knows where she is.'

'Damn it! We'll just have to keep trying. We need a team in place, an ambulance crew, possibly a psychologist as well.' Neo planned aloud. 'I'll send Barry and Colin a text. They may know someone willing to assist.'

'And what if Jane Bennett can't be talked down?' Gwilt questioned.

'We can't go in all guns blazing. For a start, there are still two kids to think about, not to mention Charlie and Harry Bennett. We need to resolve this peacefully. Mr Phillips was right; his daughter needs help.'

They pulled over once they were close enough to the tunnel entrance, saving Gwilt from voicing his queries on just how they were going to resolve the situation peacefully.

A flustered looking officer flagged them down and Neo could see his two kids sitting in the back of a police car.

'Dirk,' Gwilt greeted.

'Gwilt, Chief, I'm sorry I left my post. I didn't think. I was only gone for five minutes. I didn'teven see the woman waiting for me to leave,' he rushed.

Neo nodded his head. 'This isn't your fault,' he reminded him. 'You were only looking out for the wellbeing of two minors who most certainly should not have got involved.' He raised his voice and looked directly into his kids' guilty faces, letting them know exactly how he felt about what they'd done.