I - Y/N

Every superpower has a drawback. Something simple like fatigue caused by overuse, or stunted growth, you name it. The side effects vary as much as the actual powers themselves. Then there are those of us whose powers' entire existence is a drawback. That's an analogy Y/N uses to describe quirklessness.

While 80% of the modern world is born with a fascinating supernatural ability, commonly known as quirks, there is the 20% who are unfortunate enough to be born normal. As the years have gone on, it's gradually become a more uncommon thing for children to be born without quirks, but there are still some who end up quirkless. The quirkless are left behind, treated like they're disabled, pitied or bullied by the rest of society.

Y/N has had the pleasure of experiencing all of these throughout his life. His parents and family had left him behind, forcing him to grow up in an orphanage. His teachers had always babied him and tiptoed around the subject of quirks and heroes when speaking with him, feeling guilty and apologizing when they accidentally mentioned the subject. He had bullies too, and not many friends. One friend to be exact.

That one friend is Izuku Midoriya. Through all the other misfortunes of Y/N's life, he had somehow managed to end up with a friend like Izuku. The green haired boy was quirkless like Y/N, allowing the two to not be alone in their struggle. The boys had the same dream too: to be a great hero, just like All Might. They admired the number one hero so much, the way he never let his smile drop or fade, his voice always happy and jovial through the darkest of times. He made people feel safe. More than that, he had physically made the country safer over his career.

Though Izuku and Y/N went to the same school since they were five, they sadly were not in the same class. Their grade level just had too many kids, so the school split it into two separate classes. Just by Y/N's luck, he was put in a different class than that of his friend. They still hung out whenever they could and walked home together after school, but it only made the school day all the more unbearable.

This day was no different than any other. Classes had progressed as usual, Y/N sitting at his desk keeping quiet and getting lost in his thoughts about the future, how much better things would be when he went to UA next year. His teacher scolding him for not paying attention brought him out of his daydream, followed by laughter from his classmates.

After the final bell the boy packed up his things and waited for the others to leave before standing up, so as not to draw attention to himself. A few kids remained, talking with each other right in front of the doorway, so Y/N just pulled out his phone and made it look like he was texting somebody. Once they finally left he grabbed his book bag and headed down the hall towards Izuku's classroom. He probably was gone by now, but he wanted to check anyways. On his way down he passed by Bakugou and two boys who constantly followed him around, Y/N could never remember their names. Y/N averted his eyes and picked up his pace a little, only for Bakugou to purposely shoulder check him. Bakugou was a terrible bully to Izuku because of his quirklessness, but he wasn't near as bad with Y/N. Y/N knew that the boy didn't like him, but he also knew he didn't hate him as much as he did Izuku.

Upon reaching Izuku's classroom, Y/N's green haired friend was the only one left in the room. He looked quite upset, his mouth quivering and eyes threatening to spill tears. The sight saddened Y/N.

"Hey Izuku, you alright?" He asked as he walked inside.

Izuku looked up and quickly rubbed his eyes on his sleeve.

"Yeah, I'm okay." He faked a smile.

Y/N knew he was not okay, and figured it had something to do with a certain boy he just met in the hallway.

"You can tell me if you're not, you know that right?"

"Mhm." Izuku hummed in acknowledgment, walking past Y/N to the door.

"I think I'm gonna walk home by myself today. I just want to be alone for a bit." He said before he reached the doorway.

"Oh, alright. I'll see you tomorrow." Y/N called as his friend rounded the corner and disappeared out of sight.

He didn't want to leave Izuku alone, but if that's what he wanted then he respected that. Little did either boy know, however, that that would be the last time they'd speak before everything changed.