two

»dying is the easy part, living is the trick«
- Rafe Cameron

The next morning, while Kie, Pope and JJ were still sleeping, I lay awake in my bed reading all the online newspapers and magazines that were written about Rafe.

The night was restless for me anyway. My head was throbbing and I could feel the pain pills for my arm wearing off and because JJ was snoring in the other bed, while Kie was restlessly turning over every few minutes.

I had a weird feeling in my stomach as I read through each article, because each journalist wrote something different and made up things about Rafe that weren't true and only made him look worse for the murder.

»Stop reading through these articles« Kie muttered sitting up straight in bed next to me and yawning loudly which made Pope wake up.

»Good morning, sleepy head« I grinned sincerely to Pope who rubbed his eyes and immediately got up to stretch.
»I'll never sleep in those chairs again« he complained.

When everyone was awake, including JJ who had been asleep, not letting anything wake him until Pope had the idea to hit him with a pillow, the young nurse came into the room with a tray and served me my breakfast.

»Your vitals look good. How's your headache?« she asked, jotting something down on the clipboard hanging by my bed.
»Pretty good« I lied so I could finally go home.

»Later one of my colleagues will come and take some blood again before you go home« she grinned at JJ and I exchanged glances between the two until she disappeared and closed the door behind her.

»What the fuck was that? It seemed like she was trying to take your blood and not Grace's« Kie stated with the same look on her face as me and smirked a bit.

»Did you guys see the look on her face? She was definitely flirting with me and actually she was super hot« JJ said and I wouldn't even deny his assumption.

»Break an arm and you'll see her again« Kie laughed and tied her hair into a bun while I sat on the bed next to her listening to the conversation since I didn't feel like talking.

My mind kept wandering to Rafe, not knowing where he was or if he was okay. In addition, I was always haunted by the thought that maybe I should have escaped with him.

After all, this was the dream of me and Rafe. To leave the island at some point and live somewhere in the world in a small house close to the beach, but how quickly everything can change.

Would it even have been the right decision to run away with him, or would it have just made all of this worse than it already is?

»How about the harmless way with an internship?« suggested Pope and JJ rolled his eyes.

Some time passed and my three best friends headed home to check on Sarah and John B and because I know my stepmom is coming to get me in a minute.

»Ms. Shoupe, you need to eat something« the young lady said, while Veronica was in the bathroom putting my cosmetics in a bag.
»I'm not hungry« I rolled my eyes and slumped backwards into the pillows on the bed.

»Come on sweetie, eat something, please« I heard my stepmom call from the bathroom and a moment later she came out and put the bag with my cosmetics in a bag where my clothes were inside.