𝗇𝗂𝗇𝖾

The moment Carson mentioned the girl's day, I knew that I didn't have much of a choice

The moment Carson mentioned the girl's day, I knew that I didn't have much of a choice. It was evident in his voice, the way his eyebrows raised like he was merely entertaining the thought of what the day would look like if I told him to fuck in general direction of... oh, I don't know... off.

Okay, maybe that's a bit far. He isn't pushing me to do something or holding me hostage until I agree. Nothing like that. He just wants me to take a break, for Sonny to take a break. For us to take a break together, to bond or some shit.

And I appreciate that. I know it's going to be a good day and we're going to have fun. A part of me just wishes that he was coming with us to have fun with us.

It isn't like I don't get to spend time with him, because I do. All three of us, or just me and Car if we find someone to take Sonny. We haven't had these moments yet though, and I want at least one before he gets bored of me. Like, both of us holding one of Sonny's hands as we walk through the mall. Fighting over which shoes to get her. Getting annoyed at each other and telling the other to wait outside the store like a kid. Sharing something at the food court.

I'm sure we have plenty of time to do these things and I'm simply too in my head about this. But, I don't know. It would have been nice if we were having a girl's day plus Dad. Sonny's dad.

Carson presses a kiss on Sonny's hair and she reaches up to kiss him on the lips. When it's my turn, he walks slower toward me than he did to Sonny and I roll my eyes. He laughs at this and then finally, when he's standing in front of me, he places his hands on my hips and pulls me into him.

He doesn't hesitate to let his hands find my ass, and I don't hesitate to let him, either.

He gives my ass a little squeeze as he says, "When you were leaning over the counter like that before, I was losing my mind."

I smile lazily at him, leaning up to capture his lips with mine. It had been my intention and I'm more than happy that it had not gone unappreciated.

"Good," I whisper against his lips before I pull away.

He gives me a once-over before smiling like an idiot and waving goodbye to us as he turns on his heels to leave the house.

Once the door is shut behind him, I switch my gaze over to Sonny, who is staring at something on the counter. I frown and take a step closer, only to realize that it's Carson's card. This idiot.

I pick up Sonny and settle her on my hip as I grab the card. I jog out of the house after Carson as Sonny talks to me about her friends from school.

Luckily, Carson's still outside, barely pulling out of the driveway. He rolls down his window when I knock on it with a small smile.

"Yeah?"

I hold his card out for him. "You left this."

His gaze flickers from the card to my face a few times, and you'd think by the look on his face that he thinks that something's funny. Something I'm not quite picking up on.

"The pin is five, five, seven, zero."

"Carson," I say, almost like a warning, pressing for him to take the card. "Take the damn card. I have my own money."

"Good talk." He blows both me and Sonny a kiss. "Bye, girls."

I jog after his car, flailing the card in the air like a mad person as he pulls out of the driveway.

"Carson!" I call after him.

"Love you both, bye!"

I don't care that he said that he loved me. One, because I'm pissed that he didn't just take the fucking card. Two, because he's said it plenty of times before. And all those times, it's made my heart flutter just like it did now. Me saying I love him is rather new. He's been saying it to me for years, though.

I flip him off as he waves at us from just a little down the road. Sonny flips him off too, and I can see the change in his face when he sees this. I've taught my girl well.

The victorious feeling soon fades when I make it back inside the house, staring down at the card I've placed back on the counter.

He'll expect me to use it even though I've made it obvious I don't want to use it. My gaze lands on Sonny as she pulls off her socks for the second time in the last few seconds. I'll just use the card to buy her stuff.

I turn on the sink to wash the dishes when I hear Sonny let out an annoyed whimper. When I turn to see what's up, she's taking off her sock again. Her breathing is heavy, I can see it in the way her chest rises at an amazing speed for a toddler. Hear it in her huffs and whimpers.

Turning off the tap, I dry my hands with a kitchen towel. I walk over to her, lowering myself to sit in front of her.

Cupping her little face in my hands, I ask, "What's wrong, hon?"

Her eyes gloss over and as she wears a deep frown. She points down at her socks on the floor in front of us.

"It's not good."

I frown. "How come?"

"Look." She says as she picks up one of the socks.

I watch as she pulls on the small white sock over her foot. She whines as she pulls at the top of the sock. There isn't something visibly wrong with the sock, but something is bothering her. When she goes to take it off again, I stop her hand, examining what could possibly be wrong.

And that's when it clicks in my head. The seam.

I run my thumb over the seam that goes along the top of her toes and she starts squirming in her spot, kicking at me.

Holding her still, I pull at the sock so that the seam isn't caught just behind her short nails.

Then she stops kicking, and flings herself at me.

When she pulls away and starts feathers kisses all over my face. She pulls away again, squishing my cheeks together.

"You're magic." She tells me, her eyes a little wide like she's actually in awe over what I just did.

And right at this moment, I feel like I am.

This little girl makes me feel like I'm magic. Like, I can do any little thing I want without a single limit or doubt.

What I just did wasn't much in my eyes, but to her, it was everything. My greatest accomplishment. And I wish it had been because then I would've been able to say she saw it through the whole thing. Start to finish.

 Start to finish