𝖾𝗅𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇

How could I be such an idiot? There had to be something I was missing this whole time

How could I be such an idiot? There had to be something I was missing this whole time. Maybe there was a sign that I just didn't see. One that I chose to ignore, even.

I can't think of anything. Everything has been perfect. We've been perfect.

There's no explaining why Hannah was at Carson's fucking house. How the hell did she get in? And why does it feel like I've just been a temporary fix this whole time? A mere replacement.

Jesus. I knew this was a bad idea. I said it wouldn't make sense, and I was right. But he's just so him. I couldn't say no when I knew that some part of me wanted what he was offering me.

Now I want it too bad. Too much. So much, that I don't want to let him go. What does this even mean for us? I can't even stomach the thought of being normal or friends with him after this. Mainly because I don't want to be friends. Mainly because I don't ever want to see him again.

I long for an explanation, but I know my worth. I know I'm not meant to play rebound, and that I deserve someone who is a hundred percent mine romantically, and no one else's.

The tears come harder, blurring my vision, when I think back to my day with Sonny. It was so good. I couldn't wait to see him. What if I don't get to see my girl again?

We're never going to be able to showcase our outfits for him. I'm not going to be able to see his reaction to the weird candy we bought today that I wanted him to try. Nothing. I'm probably never going to have that, and it's my fault for not just being okay with being friends at the idea of being anything more.

My phone chimes against my ass, but I don't make a move to grab it because I know who it is. I know who I do and don't want it to be.

When it starts ringing too, I finally get enough and pull over. I take my phone, not looking at the caller ID as I answer.

"I left for a fucking reason, okay? I don't want to talk to you, Car-"

"Hey, hey, hey. It's Brandy, not... whoever."

I let out a breath and throw my head back against my seat. I don't feel embarrassed right now like I usually would. I feel stupid. Stupid and used and naïve.

"Hey." My voice cracks as I sniffle.

"What's going on? Is everything alright?"

"No," I tell my best friend honestly. "I think I'm being cheated on."

"Think?"

"I didn't let him explain. But she was in his house, asking for his fucking kid that she abandoned." Women support women and all that, but she's the biggest whore I've ever met. "I feel like an idiot, D."

"You're not an idiot, Ava. He is."

I sniffle again. "What if he isn't? And I'm just... an idiot. I'm such a fucking idiot. My God."

҉

Sonny's hugging my legs, sobbing as I yell at Hannah

"What the fuck do you think you're doing here?! How did you even get in?!" I fume.

"I still have a key." She says quietly.

She knows what she's done is wrong. Coming into my home unannounced like it was ever hers to begin with.

"Like hell you do! I want it!" I hold out my hand, urging her to give it to me before I make her. "Give me the key."

"I just wanted to see my daughter!" She stands, a pleading look in her eyes as she takes a step closer to us, her eyes on Sonny. "I wanted her to meet her mommy."

Sonny tugs at my leg, wanting to back away, and I oblige because I don't want to be anywhere near the woman in front of me.

She's got no right to be doing this. To have even thought about doing this. She doesn't get a role in Sonny's life just because she's finally gotten bored of the one she chose after she left me and my daughter.

Sonny whines when Hannah kneels and reaches out for her. I feel and hear her sobbing pick up, her chest rumbling against the fabric of my pants.

"I want Mommy." She cries, holding onto me tighter. "I miss my Ava."

Hannah's face falls. "I'm right here."

But she isn't Avery. She had her chance, but she decided we weren't worth the effort. I won't let her know my daughter if there's a chance she'll let us down for the second time.

When she touches Sonny's shoulder, my daughter screams, pulling at my leg. She wants away just like I do, but I can't just go and leave her in my house. Alone.

"Hannah, you being here is fucking illegal."

"I-I had a key." She offers.

I raise my voice, and almost my fucking fist. "One I thought I took!"

"Carson..."

"You ran my girlfriend out of my house, and you're scaring my daughter!"

"I just wanted-"

"Then we can go to court about this, okay?! You broke into my house, Hannah! Did you really think I'd be okay with that? Hire a fucking lawyer if you care so much. Maybe have the decency to talk to me first, even. GET OUT! Before I call the police. Get. Out."

"Carson, please!"

"Out!" I roar, pointing to the door.

She gathers her purse, her eyes obviously sad, but I stopped caring about how she was and felt a long time ago.

As she opens the door to leave, she places the key on the console table by the door. She opens her mouth to speak again, but I give her a look that silences her.

She tries saying bye to Sonny, but she flips Hannah off. The look of pure shock and mortification almost makes me laugh as I slam the door in her face. Avery taught her well.

Fuck.

Avery.

𝗮/𝗻kinda sucky but also kinda rushed

𝗮/𝗻
kinda sucky but also kinda rushed.