01. FORGETFULNESS

━━━━ ( 𝐒𝐊𝐈𝐍 𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐏 )
chapter one. summer.

               LUCIA BUZZED IN the front seat of her father's car, hands drumming along the dashboard anxiously wanting time to pass faster

LUCIA BUZZED IN the front seat of her father's car, hands drumming along the dashboard anxiously wanting time to pass faster. Rhythmically tapping her fingers along to the beat of a song playing on the radio, she softly hummed the lyrics as she stared out the window. She replayed scenarios in her head, thinking of all the things she and her friends could do before the last two weeks of summer ended.

"Luce," Her dad spoke, a small hint of amusement lingering in the air. "You're gonna make a dent in the car at this rate," He teases causing the girl to playfully roll her eyes but nonetheless refrain from doing it any further.

"Sorry," Lucia mumbles out, nervously scratching the back of her neck. "I'm just excited. I haven't seen Ricky in almost a year,"

"I'm sure he's just as excited to see you kiddo," Daniel reassures, turning at the intersection along to the familiar street that led to the Bowen house. Pulling up to the curbside that led directly up to the front door, Lucia turned to her father and let out a squeal, repeatedly hitting his shoulder. "Okay, okay! Stop hitting me and go before you give me a bruise and I tell the twins to eat all the Goldfish,"

"You wouldn't," Lucia dramatically gasps, narrowing her eyes at Daniel who nodded back.

"Oh I would," He muses. A silence fell over the duo before Daniel let out a snort, causing the two to fall into a series of laughter. "O-okay seriously, go on before you make me late to pick up your mother. You know how she is, if I get in trouble I'm dragging you down with me,"

"Just, speed a little," Lucia suggests, unclipping her seatbelt while opening the car door.

"I feel that I should be concerned now when you get your permit," He ponders, leaning over to place a kiss atop the girl's head.

Waving him off, Lucia smiles innocently stepping out of the car. "Don't worry about that. Bye apa, love you, I'll text you later,"

"Love you too!" Daniel calls out, the words passing over Lucia absent-mindedly as she practically runs to the house ahead. Awaiting till she swiftly opened the front door and let herself inside, he smiles softly before pulling away.

The first thing Lucia saw was the messy stack of dishes that was overflowing the sink as she walked in. The second thing was Mr. Bowen who was half asleep on the couch with a box of pizza on his lap watching a generic soap opera on the television.

With a smile, Lucia pried off her shoes and left them by the door. Tip toeing toward the older man, she grabbed the lone water bottle that she presumed was his at one point and uncapped it. Carefully pouring a small few drops along his head, Mike Bowen sprung up in his seat and whirled around to see a cackling Lucia holding her stomach and the bottle used to commit the crime.