one.

A/N: hello. i'm so glad you're here. welcome to the gang <3

***Bailey's POV***

Fire. Flames. An ombré of yellow and red.

The building seems to be on its last leg.

My brother searches endlessly for breath and a way out.

And I can't do anything about it.

I look down and notice coals, waiting eagerly to be lit. I lift my head to look at Johnny again but instead meet eyes with a cold, mean Soc. I open my mouth to scream, but my voice has lingered away. He laughs evilly. It runs through his chorus of followers. 

My parents come out of the crowd, stepping beside the Soc. 

Together, they beat me.

They only stop to let me watch my brother go down in flames.

-----

I wake in a pool of sweat, screaming. I begin to pant as footsteps race down the hallway and the door opens, revealing my brother, Johnny. I cry as he consoles me in a hug.

"Another one?" He asks softly.

I nod against his shoulder.

My name is Bailey Michele Cade. I'm 16 years old and live in Tulsa, Oklahoma with my brother and wicked parents. I struggle with a lot of things, anxiety and depression being some of them. I have trouble finding happiness in anything because of how tough my life is. I couldn't ever tell anyone about that, though. Not even Johnny.

Johnny is the only reason I'm still alive. I don't see a purpose of waking up anymore if all my day will consist of is the disappointment of Socs and my horrific parents. If it weren't for him, I'd be long gone. If he died, I'd be dead the next day.

"It's ok, it's over now," he says, tightening his grip around me. My sobs subside a bit, and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Maybe mom and dad are part of the reason you're getting these more often. I mean, they've been beating us more and more it seems," he thinks out loud.

"Maybe, but it's the Socs too," I say.

"Ha, sorry Bailey, I can't get rid of them for you." He laughs. I smile.

"Hey, what if we go stay with my gang for a while? They're super nice, I'm positive they wouldn't mind!" He says.

"I don't know, I wouldn't want to cause any trouble.." I trail off. I've always been someone that puts other people's happiness before my own, even if whatever the idea was would really benefit me.

"Trust me, you wouldn't. They all understand what we go through since I'm with them so often. Plus, they've been dying to meet you, and I've told them so much about you," he says. "Please, Bailey, I really want to help you."

I nod and he smiles.

"Ok, we'll talk to them later today."

"Okay," I say. "Are you gonna leave for a while?"

"I think I'm just gonna head to the lot." He pauses. "Unless you're going back to sleep."

I shake my head. He walks out of my room and waves before walking down the stairs. 

I decide to take a shower. I rinse the sweat and fear from my long, golden hair. When I finish, I wrap myself in a towel and change into clothes for the day.

I choose my gray converse, leggings, and a large 'Oklahoma State' sweatshirt. Since it's cold, I blow dry my hair and pull it back into a high ponytail. Even when it's pulled back, my hair goes down to the end of my ribs. Before I leave the bathroom, I grab my switchblade and tuck it into my leggings.

I take off in the direction of the lot. Johnny stares into space until my footsteps interrupt his thoughts. I sit next to him on an old couch.

"So, how exactly are you going to tell your gang that I need a place to stay?" I ask. 

"'Hey, this is my sister Bailey, she's looking for a place to stay for a while, can she crash here for a while?'" Johnny says as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. He gets up and I jog after him.

He walks confidently as I run up behind him and jump on his back. Even though we're twins, he's a good half foot taller than me.

We stop in front of an old house. Johnny walks up as if the house is his own, but I stop, suddenly scared.

"Hey, Johnny, give me a minute," I stutter. He walks over to me and places his hands on my shoulders.

"Bailey Michele Cade, you have nothing to worry about! These boys will accept you, I promise." 

I nod and breathe in slowly. He leads me to the door and walks in.

Six pairs of eyes are glued to me the second I cross the threshold.