thirty.

***Soda's POV***

I wake up next to Kayla as light seeps through my window. The sky is grey and dark clouds cover. The day seems pretty depressed already.

I carefully wrap my arms around Kayla and pull her small body closer to mine. She stirs in her sleep and opens her eyes. I await the scream, but it doesn't come. She smiles and slowly whispers, "Hi."

"Good morning my sweet girl," I whisper back. I kiss her forehead lightly and she buries herself into my chest.

"I'm not ready to get up yet," she says. Her breath is hot against my bare chest.

"I have work, and you and Ellie are coming. There has been massive amounts of work to do for some reason this week, and it's only Steve and I. You two are gonna help us," I say. She groans and dives under the covers. I pull them back to reveal her adorable face and my heart just melts.

"Come on now, we can't be late. Plus, I smell breakfast," I say happily. I get off the bed and stand and wait for her. She crawls across the bed and sticks her arms out, signaling for me to pick her up. I lean forward and grab under her arms to scoop her up. She wraps her legs around my waist and supports herself as I walk us down the stairs.

When we reach the living room, everyone is crowded around the TV watching the news. Kayla and I stand behind and watch too.

"This is a warning message to the following cities," the newscaster begins. "Osage, Pawnee, Okmulgee, Muskogee, Wagoner, Mayes, Rogers, and Tulsa are in danger for tornados today. I repeat, this is a tornado warning for the cities of Osage, Pawnee, Okmulgee, Muskogee, Wagoner, Mayes, Rogers, and Tulsa."

"Breakfast!" Darry calls. Steve flips the TV off and everyone heads to the large dining room table. Stacks of pancakes, bacon, eggs, and utensils are everywhere, and chocolate milk jugs are spread on the table as well. Darry sits at one head of the table, and Two-Bit takes the other. The girls file into one side and the boys on the other. There's an empty seat where Bailey should be sitting on the girl's side and an empty seat where Dallas should be sitting on the boy's side. No one knows where he is, though.

As we dig in, Darry calls for everyone's attention.

"Alright gang, so last night was sort of hectic, but the way things are looking, tonight could be even worse. I'm requesting that everyone will spend the night here tonight because, just in case there is a tornado, we have a good cellar out back that has room for everyone. So at some point earlier this morning, grab a bag of whatever you'll be needing for a few days and just leave it here, then carry on with whatever you are going to do today, just don't go too far away. If a tornado siren goes off, you sprint here and don't stop until you get here, understood?"

The gang nods their heads yes, and we finish up. Lauren and Darry do the dishes while everyone gets ready. The living room gets cleaned up, as well as the bedrooms. Kayla and Ellie grab extra DX shirts and get ready in the guest room. Steve and I both shower, then put on long sleeved white shirts under our DX shirts because it looks pretty cold.

***Ellie's POV***

Today Kayla and I are going to help Steve and Soda at the DX. We're going to run the cash register while the boys do the work, even though I know Kayla could fix any car.

Kayla and I took the boys long sleeved DX shirts, then I grab ripped jeans and she grabs leggings. We both put converse on. She puts her hair into 2 french braids. I curl the ends of my ponytail. Neither of us feel like putting on makeup, so we head downstairs to go to the DX.

Steve grabs my hand and Soda pulls Kayla onto his back. Soon enough we reach the DX, and the boys head out to the garage. We open up the shop, and immediately people come flooding in.

Most of the people are either very young and probably new drivers, middle aged people who don't know how to fix their cars or nice old people that give us butterscotch. But every once in a while, a greasy hood will come in and try to pick us up or a broad will come in looking for some fun with Soda or Steve.

And right now, a disgusting girl is walking in, wearing the sluttiest of clothes and tons of makeup.

I turn to find Kayla with wide eyes. We're both thinking the same thing. 

What in the frickin' world?

"Hi, what do you need today?" I ask with a fake smile.

And just to our luck, Steve comes out from the garage. That girl licks her lips.

"Him.." she says with eyes full of lust.

"Yo, news flash, he's taken and about to be a father," Kayla yells. Steve looks up.

"Hey babygirl," he says and pulls me in for a passionate kiss. I hear the girl "Hmph!" and walk out, then Kayla's laughing. Steve pulls away slowly.

"That trash from the gutter has nothing on my girl, especially when my girl is carrying my babies for me," he says. I laugh and kiss him one more time before he goes back to work.

***Victoria's POV***

Johnny and I decided to stay at the Curtis house today, just in case something were to happen. Lauren, Darry, Bryce, and Ponyboy are the only ones around. We sent Alex to go get clothes from Dally's house. She insisted on going alone since she was going to sneak in so he wouldn't see her.

Bryce and Ponyboy got over their bug very quickly. We guessed they both ate something that didn't agree with them because they were both okay by morning.

"Victoria! Could you come here a minute?" Lauren yells from downstairs. I kiss Johnny goodbye and race to find her emptying out the hallway closet.

"We're going to set up the cellar in case something were to happen tonight, that way we can just run out there. Could you grab enough food to last for a night or two? Anything like sandwich bread, peanut butter, jelly, chocolate cakes, water, chocolate milk, anything you can think of that we'd need. There's a fridge down there so the food will be okay," Lauren says. I nod and walk to the kitchen. 

The fridge isn't very full, so I grab what's left and head outside. The cool air hits my bare arms and I walk around the house until I find the cellar. I set the food on the top and run inside to help Lauren.

Lauren has at least 14 pillows and I can't count how many blankets she has thrown around in the hallway. I grab a couple of boxes to make transporting them a little bit easier when Johnny comes up the stairs with Alex. Alex looks really out of breath.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I just had to sprint to Dallas's house, and he started coming down the street, and before he saw me I ducked into an alley and ended up taking a way here that's at least 3 times longer than the normal. I sprinted most of the way."

I don't ask any more questions, and we pack up the blankets and pillows. The four of us get it all outside. Darry comes out a few minutes after us and unlocks the cellar, and we go down into a little room.

There are 5 sets of bunk beds down there, and the room is really small. There's a table that has the potential of seating the whole gang, but there are only 7 chairs. The fridge is a mini one, and barely has enough room for the food I brought down.

Darry heads back upstairs to go to work, and Ponyboy and Bryce come down too. Lauren, Alex, and I make up 10 beds, then send Ponyboy and Johnny upstairs for 4 cots. He returns quickly and we make those too.

When we're done, it's almost 3 pm. We all head back to the house and lock the cellar. We go through the back door and sit in the living room.

After about an hour of watching TV, someone opens the front door.

Alex, who was in the bathroom, freezes like a deer in the headlights as she makes eye contact with the person coming in.