Chapter 49

There was total silence as the atmosphere became so cold as ice. The villagers began to murmur to themselves in low voices with their eyes fixed on the shocked face of their queen.
Nevada stared at the fainted girl in front of her, her eyes widened in shock as she felt a strike of pain flow through her mind. Still stunned and filled with uncertain words, she stood up drastically, her whole body felt stiff with her heart racing so fast.

Filippo glanced at Maria who lay helplessly beside him, his forehead squeezed in worry and surprise as he quickly diverted his gaze to the shock queen before them. Realizing what just happened, Filippo's eyes enlarged with great surprise, the hay in his mouth prevented him from saying a word as his facial expression held so many words.

Nevada walked closer to get a clearer look of Maria with flickering eyes, slowly, she turned to Filippo and back at the hefty guard beside her.
"Untie them at once!" She commanded with an angry tone as a disappointed expression settled on the man's face. He turned to the guards who stood beside Filippo. Nodding at the queen's command, the guards quickly untied them with confused eyes.
The villagers stood still as they watched in awe, they could see the expression on their queen's face but they couldn't tell what was happening.

"Bring her up to me at once!" Nevada commanded staring at the guards, she turned to the confused villagers, "This call is dismissed, you may leave!" She ordered at once. As realization began to dawn on her, Nevada looked at the hefty man beside her with sharp angry eyes, "Theophilus" she called his name with deception, "bring her into my chamber immediately and call the medicine man after that" she instructed and walked away from him.

With murmuring words, the people began to leave one after the other, each one of them had a disappointed look on their face mixed with a hint of confusion. Quickly, one of the guards lead Filippo towards a path in the castle as Theophilus picked up Maria in his arms and took another path in the castle. Maria lay still not moving as she breathed slowly with her eyes tightly closed. In no time, Theophilus walked towards the queen's chamber, one of the guards quickly opened the chamber door as he stepped into the vast room, strolled towards the king-sized bed, and gently placed Maria on it.

"I will get the medicine man as quickly as I can my queen," Theophilus said in a calm voice as he bowed in respect and he quickly walked out of the room closing the door behind him.

Nevada stood at the bed stand, her eyes fixed on the figure before her. Her mind was revolving in confusion as she wondered how things turned this way. Slowly with tender eyes, she walked towards Maria, her eyes not leaving the sleeping lady. She scanned her body and was glad that there was no sign of any bruises except at the side of her mouth. Her eyebrow squeezed in anger but her expression quickly changed into a soft tender one as she fought the tears welling up in her eyes. With tender loving eyes, she gently placed her hand on Maria's face, her skin, soft and tender just like hers. Nevada's eyes scanned her face, her lips, red as hers. Her nose, perfectly made with no difference with the nose stuck on her face. Her eyes, blue as the ocean, that enticing eyes that made her know that this lady before her is no one but her daughter, her flesh and blood!.

Nevada's face squeezed in anger, why hasn't she known that she has a daughter all these years? Why didn't this little girl come across her mind?, she couldn't understand the logic behind all these. Sighing heavily, she slowly placed her hand on Maria's hand, each finger locking together, a warm feeling began to grow within her. Suddenly, a great bright light rushed through her head, thousands of images began to appear as she stood in shock, her hand not able to let go from Maria's hand.
Nevada's lips began to chatter in pain, she felt a bitter taste in her mouth and her eyes flew wide open, the drop of tears fell drastically from them. A great pain came across her chest as she felt the pain of a sharp knife which pierced into her heart, not able to hold unto the pain, Nevada screamed out loud in anguish, her lips began to vibrate non-stop.