FIFTEEN

KAI WALKER truly didn't believe that he was a bad person.

Clinically insane, perhaps, but not evil.

Of course, he wasn't ignorant to the bad things he'd done, but really, so what if he killed anyone that disrespected him? Wasn't that valid as the leader of the Black Wolves? He did have an image to maintain, after all. Was it that serious that he ran an underground prostitution ring?

He figured that everyone else was just a bit too dramatic for his taste, painting Kai as a villain when really all that he was, was an entrepreneur, scratch that, he was a respectable business man who was slightly plagued by anger every now and then.

But, despite every evil in his life, the world still sent him Astra hart on a silver platter, his saving grace. From the moment he laid eyes on the girl at the young age of fifteen, he knew she would be something great. And when he got that call, he was over the moon.

He can still remember it now, the sixteen year old blonde who exuded far more confidence than she really had, asking about a limo driving job. She fell right into his hands.

"What does a young girl need a job for?" He'd asked, watching closely as she ate a french fry.

"Family matters." She was closed off, but with one unimpressed glare, she began to reveal it all — it was strange, the things people would do for money, Kai concluded — "one of my grandparents is ill."

"And your parents can't pay for the bills?" He knew the answer already. He was just taunting her, forcing her to reveal the one secret she buried deep within her. Public humiliation as a means of proving that she had nothing, and he everything.

"They, uh," swallowing a lump in her throat, "they're dead."

Any reaction Kai could have had would've been too obviously fake. Oh dear, was his initial plan. But he settled for, "I'll give you the job."

Her eyes lit up in a way they never had before, and never would again.

Astra Hart signed her death sentence with an exuberant smile and the promise of eternal safety.

He can still recall her face when she found out that she'd been roped into a gang she kept her composure surprisingly well, but from the cameras in the bathroom, he saw how she threw up and hugged her knees to her chest, begging for it all to be some kind of ruse Astra was exactly what Kai was looking for. Strong-willed, but malleable. He could change her until she didn't even know who she was anymore.

And, when she was his perfect protégée, he used her to do what he'd been planning for six years. He needed to get rid of Enzo Clarke with all deliberate speed. And who better to carry out the plan than his beloved, saving grace of a girl, Astra Hart?

He'd figured it was fool-proof. But when he saw her in their cars, with their men, laughing, smiling. He snapped.

It was taking far too long for Enzo to get arrested and she was having far too much fun in the meantime.

He needed to remind her of why she joined in the first place.

For Astra Hart couldn't be happy, unless Kai Walker was the reason for it.

authors note.
he's a bit delusional